Flooring, Foamboard, Finish Floor Question(s). - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 27

Flooring, foamboard, finish floor question(s).

Long post. Hopefully i can furnish enough info. so you can see what the makeup is of the materials. I am attempting to finish an upstairs addition over an unfinished garage. The previous owner started the addition, but passed on before he could complete the project. I have purchased the property. Scenario: Double garage, 12" I-joists for garage overhead, 2nd story (floor area) has 3/4" t&g OSB over the 12" I-joists (caulked between sheets, but 1/8" spaced), and 1/2" green shiplap foamboard (Lowe's) over the t&g. I assume that the PO was trying to make the upper floors warmer. It appears that the 2x4 walls upstairs are on foam sill seal, and he had caulked all around the base and each meeting place of the studs to the sill and header. Question is this: What can be used as finish flooring over the foamboard? The PO has thick (dense) batt insulation (close to 8") between the 12" I-joists.The outer walls are 7/16 osb, and covered w/ the green foamboard, and caulked at each joint. Location: North Alabama. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, David.

Advertisement

edselsouth1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 632

There should not have been foam installed over the floor. Would have been fine to install it under the floors between the I beams.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #3

Joecaption.... Thanks for the reply. I also have not removed any of the dense insulation batts to see if he put foamboard under the t&g and between the insulation. Would that be permissable. If so, I will put thicker foamboard or double up between the t&g and insulation, and remove the foamboard above the flooring. Thanks, David.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #4

Update: I removed some of the dense batt insulation, and there is no foamboard between it and the above 3/4 t&g osb. Is it permissible to install foamboard between the 12" i-joists, and the re-install the dense batts? What is a recommendation on the thickness of the foamboard? Thanks, David.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,038

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...n-crawlspaces/

Gary
Old 04-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #6

GBR in WA..... Excellent article. I believe that I will just go w/ Roxul between the i-joists, under the 3/4" t&g OSB, leaving an air gap at the top side, and use a double thickness of Roxul. + 5/8" drywall for the final garage ceiling. Sound OK? The garage will not be a conditioned space at this time. I don't know about the upper floor coverings at this time, but probably will be carpeted. Thanks, David.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:32 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,038

Without the foamboard, the insulation needs to contact the sub-flooring, gap at the drywall below, if any gap... Fire-tape the drywall, ADA and paint with a vapor retarder primer to counter the warm, moist rising air from vehicles freshly parked inside or ventilate garage space. http://oikos.com/esb/38/floorinsulation.html

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...wall-approach/

Gary
Old 04-26-2012, 01:34 AM   #8

GBRinWA.....Thank you. I've got it now. Nice article, and clearly shows applications. David.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to edselsouth1 For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (04-26-2012)