Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2014, 12:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Flooring for cabin on blocks

Any recommendations?

I'm looking for a durable laminate flooring for a cabin / cottage that sits on a concrete block foundation with a bit of a tendency to move a bit over time. (open air under the cabin with outdoor temperatures spanning -40 to -50 degrees F each winter to + 90 each summer. This means the flooring needs to be able to handle a bit of deflection over time, and then a periodic re-levelling of the floor as well as temperature and humidity changes. Currently the floor is done with linoleum tile and that has held up extremely well for 60 years except where water from dog dishes etc was left to damage the tiles and wear we let the cabin get a bit too far out of level for half it's length and a separation between the tile showed up and then loosened some tiles.

I'd like to find an easy to install floating floor with strong yet flexible joints, that could also withstand water spills and snow melt off boots.

I've used Allure Ultra vinyl laminate in my basement but don't think it would handle floor deflection in a cabin well. The main room is 13'x30' and I'd be afraid of the thin joints popping or cracking.

KinNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 718

That's a pretty tall order with all of the criteria.There are some sheet vinyl's out there that will float and are softer and thicker than the old glue down vinyl.I have installed a few in small rooms but can't say how well they hold up.Have not had any calls on them in a year or two.

mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,348

I agree, loose laided linoleum would work.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

I'm going to have to look at that marmoleum plank flooring. Linoleum (not vinyl) may do the trick again. (I spent some time on Google searching for solutions and not much else in the way of new solutions much came up.)

Here's a pages / pictures to show what potential linoleum can achieve:

http://www.flooringportland.com/imag...d%20oregon.PNG
http://www.flooringportland.com/serv...%22/Categories
http://www.homedesignfind.com/wp-con...linoleum-2.jpg
http://www.homedesignfind.com/how-to...-21st-century/
http://www.houzz.com/photos/270245/L...opical-floors-

What was interesting in reading posting on the internet was is all the warnings about using linoleum when the temperature can drop. Well, our linoleum floors have been amazing. We have two cottages both 60+ years old and both using the old standard glued down linoleum tiles. Both of these lakeside cabins/cottages are on concrete blocks, unheated except for wood stoves used when occupied, both have uninsulated plywood floors and both buildings have periodically gone slightly out of level. The lino floor in the oldest cabin is still in pristine condition after 60-70 years of extreme temperature changes (plus moisture changes). So according to the records, over the years the temperature extremes here have been between: -46 degrees C (about -51 F) to 34 C (about 95 F).

Last edited by KinNorth; 05-26-2014 at 02:04 PM.
KinNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,124

Tiles might work, but sheet lino gets extremely brittle at low temp. Vinyl remains more pliable, especially the solid sheet vinyl.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 274

According to my opinion Tiles is also the option available in this case.

alexjoe is offline   Reply With Quote