Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2010, 04:01 AM   #1

Share |

Flooring begineer advice.

Hi folks,
Unsure whether to have a go at laying laminate flooring for the 1st time. Do I need to concern myself with getting equal sized cuts of boards at either side of the room. Im worried that I will lay the planks starting at one end but by the time I reach the other side only a thin slither of flooring is required and may look stupid. Im looking at also laying a floor in the hallway which joins the main living room. This means that the combined area to be floored is a T shape. I'm assuming its better to have the planks continue seamlessly and parallel through both rooms? (ie boards that run all the way from the start of the hallway right through the living room). Thanks for your help Stuart
Kinky Afro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:26 AM   #2
the Musigician

Hi and welcome to the forum.
If you're worried about the thin sliver at the edge or "T" shapes, you might consider just laying it all diagonally.
Both problems solved.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:25 AM   #3

You could measure the width of the room and get an idea of the leftover, adjusting the first run to compenstate or just go with it and make due. I had a similar anxiety when doing mine but it all went well in the end. As long as the rips are straight and you have qtr rnd or place baseboard over flr it should look good. I am still trying to get pics up here...not too sure on how at the moment.
As for the hallway...I laid mine all at the same time and ran it continuously. Trickiest part was getting in closets and around dorr trim. Get a japanese saw to cut door trim as I believe it is a much cleaner look to get flooring under trim instead of trying to cut around...

Good luck!!
Han'D' is offline   Reply With Quote