Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
We pick these?

Share |

Is flooring basically a throw-away wear item?

I need to replace appx 1500 sqft of flooring in my family's home. I'm debating (internally) whether I should spend my budget on the best floor I can afford or to get something that's relatively inexpensive and use the surplus budget elsewhere. My thinking is that the home will likely remain in our possession for 10-15 more years and that whatever we put in at our price-point will be at the end of it's useful life anyway and we aren't soooo picky. I'm going back and forth in my mind between beveled edge laminate vs. ceramic vs. engineered wood. I believe that we would get the look (richness) of wood with less risk of damage by choosing the laminate. The tile would be very durable, but I think the home's character would be better fit by the laminate... any opinion? Even though the solid wood flooring might add value to the home, I think my family wouldn't appreciate it as much as some supposed future home-buyer.

NailedIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #2

The thing about real solid wood flooring is that even if it's abused for the next 10-15 years, it can be resanded & restored to new for a fraction of the cost of replacing it. I resand 50-100 year old floors that have been badly abused all the time & restore them to their former glory.

pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:15 PM   #3

I put down $1.50/sqft laminate from lumber liquidators and I still like it three years later. I guess it depends on your home too, mine is just a country ranch, anything fancy would be overkill.

I've never installed tile only removed it... needless to say I hate it. So labor intensive, grout gets dirty, expensive, hard to remove if you want to change it, etc...

Real wood is nice, but if you have kids or dogs, etc, it could be trouble. My kids and dog haven't been able to do a thing to my laminate.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
We pick these?

Got a new kid coming soon and 2 old dogs... Hmmm.
NailedIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #5

Thumbs up

My BIL went with laminate for the same reasons two years ago.
Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #6

Main room, 2 bedrooms & dining room are real wood
Hallway & bath I did tile w/radiant floor heat
Main room has an area rug - our 2nd one - 8x12 I think
Area rugs we change out every 4-5 years or when needed

Kitchen will be some sort of vinyl - easy to clean
Sunroom will tile w/radiant floor heat
2nd floor Master bedroom is laminate - here when we moved in
I like it, pulled up some areas to rebuild/dormer the back
Very tough - has stood up to construction very well

Our new great room will have tile - possible radiant floor heat - by the triple doors that lead to the 6x12 balcony
I think the rest will be real hardwood
Other 1/2 of the great room will be carpet - I think

I do like the ability to refinish real wood
We had the floors refinished before we moved in - $700
They looked like new
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:51 AM   #7

Cool

while it's true ceramics and porcelains are hard to remove, they both are very durable and add beauty to any home. Hardwoods are also durable and add beauty, yes they scratch, dent, and can be scored, but, with the right color pencil or repair kit (ordered at time of floor purchase), all character flaws can be faded in. One person was talking about resurfacing hardwood flooring, yes absolutely, but you can not resurface engineered woods without risk of sanding into the engineered plank layer under. These new woods are only fractions of an inch thick, with 3 or more layers of pressure treated under-layers. Laminates are a great fairly inexpensive "look" of wood, they too can be dented, scratched and scored, and to a degree, can be repaired with a kit. Everything, I'd say depends on your taste and budget....
susanred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #8

I am renovating the cottage.

Laminate would have been a good choice as it is easy to install and is cheap depending on the top level thickness. I installed in my basement at home. However I don't like the sound when walking on it.

I decided to go with real hardwood but didn't want to pay big bucks. Compromised and went with a utility rustic grade 3/4 oak. .89 per sq ft. With this grade the pieces are shorter, have knot holes and splits. Therefore your waste percentage is higher. I will reduce the waste factor by placing those scrap pieces in the closet or where the bed will be placed. Out of sight and because it is a cottage I can get away with a more rustic less than perfect appearance.

I purchased my own nail gun hammer so I can take my time. Basically i figured I'd spend that money on rental anyway. My other expenses will be the rental of the drum sander, stain, filler and nails.

I will have floor that presents itself as expensive but done on a budget. That is my hope at least. Either that or high grade fire wood.

Your floor choice now will be noticed at the time you plan to sell. Will it look dated or not the buyer's taste?

Vinyl you have all those chemical smells and it tears scratches. Tiles objects break. You might need an additional layer of underlayment You can seal your grout so it is easier to clean.

good luck with what ever you choose.

toolbelt Tina is offline   Reply With Quote