Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

flooring as backsplash?

Hi, I am pretty new to the DIY stuff and had an idea that maybe I coiuld use Allure flooring as a backsplash product. I wouls use the tile looking one. If I used this how would I "glue" it to the wall? Thanks for any help or comments.

pbpatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

flooring as backsplash?

I would not use it anywhere near a sink

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:57 PM   #3

flooring as backsplash?

Thanks for the reply Scuba_Dave, I was thinking of using it because it would be easier to self install than tiles. I am doing projects by myself and have very little experience with power tools. (afraid of them too)
Old 05-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #4

flooring as backsplash?

How about using ceitling tiles, the metal ones?
Old 05-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

flooring as backsplash?

Where'd ya get that idea? Been lurking have ya?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #6

flooring as backsplash?

Hi Bud,

Nope not been lurking, here at least.. I just came up with the idea when I saw some stick-um floor tiles and thought how easy would that be to put on the wall. Only problem is the tiles that I like are not sticky backed and I do not know how I would install them. any ideas?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,004

flooring as backsplash?

If you are ooking to stick flooring tiles to the back splash, why use a product that was designed to float? Why not just use peel and stick floor tiles. There is more variety and they are cheaper to boot.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:02 PM   #8

flooring as backsplash?

Hi Jim, thanks for the response, I have not found "sticky" tiles that I liked that is why I am looking at the other type. I suppose that I can keep looking and perhaps get lucky and find something that I like.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #9
Tileguy

flooring as backsplash?

Yous guys are funny!

Peel & stick floor tiles are not gona stick on walls well for very long.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #10

flooring as backsplash?

Hey JazMan, I guess that is the question, can it be done? I am trying to find an easy wat to do a backsplash and this idea came to me.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,004

flooring as backsplash?

Not even with an appropriate primer? My wife got some one time to have me do but I never got around to it. Now I'm glad I didn't.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #12
Tileguy

flooring as backsplash?

The adhesive on ALL peel & stick tile are pressure sensitive meaning the glue is sticky and never dries. It sticks to floors because of its own weight, traffic makes it stick better. When applied to a vertical surface it is very likely to bond at first, but will come loose later.

Wait a little longer, save up a few $$$, skip dinners out a few times whatever.... Look around for a nice tile you like that is an odd lot or closeout. You might be able to find some tiles for less than you think, if you do the work yourself. Maybe $100 is possible. Have it done for $300-500 maybe?

OH, btw, even if they stuck, some vinyls wouldn't be so good near a stove.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:27 PM   #13

flooring as backsplash?

JazMan, thank you for the input, makes sense to me now. I would like to have real tile but I am doing this myself and do not have the expertise to do a perfect job. How about the metal ceiling tiles for backsplash I think that I would be able to measure and install them easier. My walls are lathe and plaster 50+yrs old, would I be able to use the brad nails. (store guy told me about them) lol newbie here....lol
Old 05-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #14
Tileguy

flooring as backsplash?

Metal ceiling tiles huh. Well, aren't those things textured usually? Aren't they flimsy, and large? Are you pretty good with tin snips? How you gona cut and re install around the switches and outlets?

Anything is possible, but you're NOT the first person to come up with these brilliant unorthodox ideas, usually they don't work so good, and so that is why it is not doe. Your selection and situation may be different?

Nails into plaster and lath? Sounds like something an associate that wears a vest might suggest. How about you ask a friend for some ideas and help?

Jaz

Old 05-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #15

flooring as backsplash?

ok, ok, thanks Jaz, I guess I will have to ask for help. thank you though for your comments I really appreciate them. off to find some help. lol