Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2012, 06:00 AM   #1
Master Electrician

Share |

flooring advice.

My first trip to the flooring section, I'm a regular over in electrical. Thought I'd get some advice instead of giving it for once. I'm looking at doing laminate in the basement of the house I just bought. I realize most of you will recommend against this but nevertheless..... I'll be levelling out the floor first and I'm looking to put an upgraded underlay with a moisture barrier and dispersal system in. My question is with a 3 in 1 underlay do I still need to lay down the foam layer between the laminate and the underlay? Also looking to buy a more realistic laminate such as a v-groove system with bevelled edges. Has anyone installed that style and how good does it look?

I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #2

flooring advice.

Sure sounds like your talking about engineered flooring not laminite. Differance is night and day.
Engineered is below grade rated, can be installed as a floating floor, the top layer is real wood, not plastic looking like laminite.
No harder to install then laminite.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #3

flooring advice.

I have a old oak floor iam tearing out and putting in tile floor iam wondering what it would cost to rip out old floor and install tile floor the area is 120 sqft iam trying to get prices
edwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #4

flooring advice.

what would something like that cost
edwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #5

flooring advice.

depends on who you hire
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #6

flooring advice.

edwin #1 go back and post your own post, imposable to know who's talking to whom when you just add onto someone elses post.
#No one here can help you with pricing, you going to have to make some local calls to find this info.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
Master Electrician

flooring advice.

No its actually laminate. It just has bevelled edges to look more like the real thing.

http://aafloors.ca/index.php?page=sh...emart&Itemid=1

Here's the link to the underlay.
http://m.homedepot.ca/Product/produc...985698&lang=EN

Do I still need the foam layer if I use that?
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:29 AM   #8
Master Electrician

flooring advice.

No one?
Old 10-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #9

flooring advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
My first trip to the flooring section, I'm a regular over in electrical. Thought I'd get some advice instead of giving it for once. I'm looking at doing laminate in the basement of the house I just bought. I realize most of you will recommend against this but nevertheless..... I'll be levelling out the floor first and I'm looking to put an upgraded underlay with a moisture barrier and dispersal system in. My question is with a 3 in 1 underlay do I still need to lay down the foam layer between the laminate and the underlay? Also looking to buy a more realistic laminate such as a v-groove system with bevelled edges. Has anyone installed that style and how good does it look?
First I didn't know there was such a thing as realistic laminate. Second I don't know of any company that recommends laminate below grade, although there may be some. If the manufactures don't recommend it I don't think there will be many pros here who have done it and would be able to advise you.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
Master Electrician

flooring advice.

There's tons of laminate approved for below grade, engineered hardwood as well. There's even waterproof stuff nowadays rated for bathrooms.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #11

flooring advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
There's tons of laminate approved for below grade, engineered hardwood as well. There's even waterproof stuff nowadays rated for bathrooms.
engineered absolutely and I said there may be some.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #12

flooring advice.

If puttin lamiate or click wood in a basement put poly down runnig it up the wall. Cut the poly later so the trim covers, the 3 in 1 sits on top and then the laminate
DonnHartwick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DonnHartwick For This Useful Post:
andrew79 (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #13
Master Electrician

flooring advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnHartwick
If puttin lamiate or click wood in a basement put poly down runnig it up the wall. Cut the poly later so the trim covers, the 3 in 1 sits on top and then the laminate
Perfect, thank you very much