DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Flooring (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/)
-   -   flooring advice. (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/flooring-advice-160897/)

andrew79 10-23-2012 06:00 AM

flooring advice.
 
My first trip to the flooring section, I'm a regular over in electrical. Thought I'd get some advice instead of giving it for once. I'm looking at doing laminate in the basement of the house I just bought. I realize most of you will recommend against this but nevertheless..... I'll be levelling out the floor first and I'm looking to put an upgraded underlay with a moisture barrier and dispersal system in. My question is with a 3 in 1 underlay do I still need to lay down the foam layer between the laminate and the underlay? Also looking to buy a more realistic laminate such as a v-groove system with bevelled edges. Has anyone installed that style and how good does it look?

joecaption 10-23-2012 08:04 AM

Sure sounds like your talking about engineered flooring not laminite. Differance is night and day.
Engineered is below grade rated, can be installed as a floating floor, the top layer is real wood, not plastic looking like laminite.
No harder to install then laminite.

edwind 10-23-2012 10:38 AM

I have a old oak floor iam tearing out and putting in tile floor iam wondering what it would cost to rip out old floor and install tile floor the area is 120 sqft iam trying to get prices

edwind 10-23-2012 10:40 AM

what would something like that cost

DannyT 10-23-2012 10:55 AM

depends on who you hire

joecaption 10-23-2012 10:58 AM

edwin #1 go back and post your own post, imposable to know who's talking to whom when you just add onto someone elses post.
#No one here can help you with pricing, you going to have to make some local calls to find this info.

andrew79 10-23-2012 11:09 AM

No its actually laminate. It just has bevelled edges to look more like the real thing.

http://aafloors.ca/index.php?page=sh...emart&Itemid=1


Here's the link to the underlay.
http://m.homedepot.ca/Product/produc...985698&lang=EN

Do I still need the foam layer if I use that?

andrew79 10-24-2012 05:29 AM

No one?

ToolSeeker 10-24-2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew79 (Post 1036201)
My first trip to the flooring section, I'm a regular over in electrical. Thought I'd get some advice instead of giving it for once. I'm looking at doing laminate in the basement of the house I just bought. I realize most of you will recommend against this but nevertheless..... I'll be levelling out the floor first and I'm looking to put an upgraded underlay with a moisture barrier and dispersal system in. My question is with a 3 in 1 underlay do I still need to lay down the foam layer between the laminate and the underlay? Also looking to buy a more realistic laminate such as a v-groove system with bevelled edges. Has anyone installed that style and how good does it look?

First I didn't know there was such a thing as realistic laminate. Second I don't know of any company that recommends laminate below grade, although there may be some. If the manufactures don't recommend it I don't think there will be many pros here who have done it and would be able to advise you.

andrew79 10-24-2012 11:14 AM

There's tons of laminate approved for below grade, engineered hardwood as well. There's even waterproof stuff nowadays rated for bathrooms.

ToolSeeker 10-24-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew79 (Post 1037048)
There's tons of laminate approved for below grade, engineered hardwood as well. There's even waterproof stuff nowadays rated for bathrooms.

engineered absolutely and I said there may be some.

DonnHartwick 10-24-2012 07:06 PM

If puttin lamiate or click wood in a basement put poly down runnig it up the wall. Cut the poly later so the trim covers, the 3 in 1 sits on top and then the laminate

andrew79 10-24-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonnHartwick
If puttin lamiate or click wood in a basement put poly down runnig it up the wall. Cut the poly later so the trim covers, the 3 in 1 sits on top and then the laminate

Perfect, thank you very much :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved