Flooring Adhesive Mishap - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
Clueless and Alone

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via AIM to SweatEquitySux Send a message via Yahoo to SweatEquitySux
Unhappy

Flooring adhesive mishap

I've been having a problem with peel and stick vinyl tiles coming up in my kitchen (from dog pee). They were installed over old sheet linoleum. We were told to use some flooring adhesive, put it down first, like thin-set. Well, two days later the stuff still had not set up! It was oozing out the seams and got tracked ALL OVER the house! So now I'm wondering what the heck to use to remove this junk. It's dried now but still stickier then crap. The tub says to "manually remove it" but that just ain't working. Please help me!

Advertisement

SweatEquitySux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Flooring adhesive mishap

try charcoal lighter fluid.
Safe for all Vinyl floors....

good luck..

Advertisement

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,620

Flooring adhesive mishap

You used waaaaaaaay too much. Next time use a flat trowel and skim the (contact) adhesive onto the vinyl flooring. No ridges no peaks no gobs no trowel marks. Allow the adhesive to dry. It will still be very tacky. THEN apply the tiles. They will never move, they won't purge adhesive, and they won't come up.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
Clueless and Alone

Send a message via AIM to SweatEquitySux Send a message via Yahoo to SweatEquitySux

Flooring adhesive mishap

I went to SW since the help at Mynads and Depot hasn't been the brightest lately. They gave me something called "Opps." It seems to be working well but I'm almost out. Maybe I'll try the lighter fluid then. Do I use it to set this dump on fire? Thanks for the edumacation Bud! I will get on it tonight!
Old 09-27-2008, 04:19 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,620

Flooring adhesive mishap

SES,

I realize you have a heckuva mess on your hands. Unfortunately there isn't any real clean and easy way to deal with it. We have a few products available to us but you wouldn't be able to readily find them at a home center. Truth is they don't work any better than what you are doing.

I should tell you that what you are doing can be very dangerous. Allowing an abundance of volatile chemicals to evaporate at floor level can create some hazardous conditions. The slightest spark or flame can cause a fire flash or even an explosion.

Not trying to scare you but if there are any pilot lights...turn them off until you are done and the area can be flushed with fresh air.

Another hint is if you are scraping gobs of reduced adhesive and finding it very hard to detach and move around you can add some kitty litter to the mix to make things slightly more manageable. That too will add to the mess of course.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
BobVillaWannabe

Send a message via Yahoo to Revnjeff

Flooring adhesive mishap

Welcome to the club. When I laid vinyl flooring for the first time I did the same thing. I could have sworn I was putting the tile cement down sparingly, but I wasn't.

What I discovered was that mineral spirits did a good job of taking off the excess glue from the floor...the shoes, the wood floor in the dining room, the wall (from getting it on hands)...and even off the carpet (although the minerial spirits removed the color from the carpet).

Mineral spirits are relatively cheap and not very odorous. But wear gloves...that stuff kills the hands.

Jeff
Revnjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:51 AM   #7
Clueless and Alone

Flooring adhesive mishap

I had all the windows open and one had a box fan pulling air in and another venting it out. It is strong stuff tho. Bud, so ur saying I shouldn't be smoking while doing this, right? I got most of it scraped up and all the tracked thru spots are cleaned up. Oh lord, what a mess! Every home improvement project needs to have a flipping support group with it.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:12 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Flooring adhesive mishap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweatEquitySux View Post
...Every home improvement project needs to have a flipping support group with it.
Well, in a way that's what you have here...but better...good advice coupled with understanding....can't beat it!
Old 10-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #9
Clueless and Alone

Flooring adhesive mishap

I'm really at a loss on what to do about this floor. I'm still working on scraping up the adhesive. And they are coming up in other areas as well. I've had at least 2 mental breakdowns due to this stupid thing and I'm wondering whether to try and save this train wreck or to just call it a $300 mistake and rip it all up.

It was my mistake, I understand that now. There are small gaps between some of the tile, and the floor underneath it quite textured. So if one of the dogs pees on it, it seeps down and then is spread though out the floor like blood thru ur veins. So, it was a bad choice for the type of surface and a place that houses 3 pain in the ass dogs.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:02 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 526

Flooring adhesive mishap

you could always elliminate the pains FIRST!!! Spank the pups for floor peeing!! I grew up where tha aminals lived outside,people inside the HOUSE!!!
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:49 AM   #11
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Flooring adhesive mishap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweatEquitySux View Post
I'm really at a loss on what to do about this floor. I'm still working on scraping up the adhesive. And they are coming up in other areas as well. I've had at least 2 mental breakdowns due to this stupid thing and I'm wondering whether to try and save this train wreck or to just call it a $300 mistake and rip it all up.

It was my mistake, I understand that now. There are small gaps between some of the tile, and the floor underneath it quite textured. So if one of the dogs pees on it, it seeps down and then is spread though out the floor like blood thru ur veins. So, it was a bad choice for the type of surface and a place that houses 3 pain in the ass dogs.
The floor types that work well with dogs include the floors that are virtually 100% waterproof and can tolerate direct constant contact with water. These include Konecto Prestige, commercial VCT, Ceramic tiles installed properly with the expensive grout that doesn't stain, Sheet vinyl - professionally seemed, sealed natural stone products, sealed masonry based products, sealed & or painted concrete. 100% pure silicone is your friend, use lots and lots of tubes of it, seal everything around the edges of your room.

I have finally gotten to the point where I have floors that the dogs are unable to damage, and I can easily wet mop them.

Dog, do you best!

Jamie

Advertisement

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote