Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #1

Share |

Floor Under Bathtub

Hi,

About a week ago, I called a plumber to perform a very small fix on my upstairs toilet. He ended up busting a pipe (the supply line) and water ran into the bathroom, the master bedroom, some into the hall, and some into my son's room. Some water even leaked through the ceiling to the first floor. This plumber had a guy come out with dehumidifiers and fans to dry everything. His response time was pretty quick (about 1 hour). The fans and dehu's ran for about 48 hours.

Now, when I step into the shower, the bottom feels just a bit softer than it did before. Is it possible that water can be under the bathtub making the flooring soft or causing mold? There were some dips in the drywall ceiling on the first floor directly below the tub that have since been fixed (retaped). Also, when I step on the tiles that are right next to the tub, they creak. None of the other tiles in the bathroom creak.

I'm not very skilled with construction so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks so much...

Brian

bciampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #2

Floor Under Bathtub

The first thing you should do is call the plumber back to see what he thinks. If it is a problem he caused, he will have to fix it. A water leak that occurred a week ago should not have weakened your floor already. What is your tub made of, steel, fiberglass. I'm guessing not cast iron. Some installers use expanding foam or sand under a fiberglass/acrylic tub to support the bottom. Either of those materials could have softened or shifted with a lot of water.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:37 PM   #3

Floor Under Bathtub

What does the Plumber's Insurance Adjuster have to say about this???
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #4

Floor Under Bathtub

Thanks. The plumber's company is taking care of it. They have dried under the carpet using fans and dehumidifiers, replaced the carpet pad in certain areas, and are in the process of repairing the ceiling where the water dripped from the second story to the first story. They will also have the carpets professionally cleaned. They are taking action to their credit.

I was mainly wondering if there is a way to check to see if water did in fact get under the tub. The drywall guys who are fixing the ceiling have told me that there is no water on the other side of the ceiling drywall (which is beneath the tub, the tub is on the second floor and in the same bathroom as the leak). Is that enough of a check or is more investigation necessary?
bciampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #5

Floor Under Bathtub

Does your tub still feel soft under your feet? They may have to investigate the area under the tub. Maybe cut a couple of peek holes in the floor under the tub.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote