Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #1

Share |

Floor Transition Height Issue

Hello,

My husband and I are remodeling our bathroom and have run into what appears to be an issue with a lack of difference in height between the bathroom plywood floor and the hard wood in the hallway.

The bathroom had existing sheet linoleum which we have removed. But now the plywood under that is level with the hard wood in the hall. We were looking to install porcelain tile and understand that we need to install a backer board first. With all of that it looks like we end up with at least a 3/4" difference between the tile in the bathroom and the hard wood out in the hall. I'm concerned that even with a transition piece this is just looking to be a toe-stubbing nightmare.

Do I have to go with just another vinyl or linoleum? Or is the 3/4" transition acceptable?

Thanks for the help!
~Christine

ChristineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #2

Floor Transition Height Issue

It's done all the time and will not be a problum.
Just add a stone or wood threshold in the doorway. I install mine first and tile up to it. It would be best to use matching caulking instead of grout where they meet.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote