Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2009, 11:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Floor still squeaks after screwing it down!

I've tried to google for the answer, but all guides I found assume you have a finished floor.

I am currently reflooring my main floor. I removed the existing flooring and now I am down to the plywood subfloor. There are two places that are very high-traffic and are giving me a headache because even though I have thoroughly screwed down the plywood pieces, they are still squeaking a LOT. I cannot find any nails that I missed, and I've tried some random spots between the joists and haven't hit any joists closer than 16" apart. Note that the basement is finished, so I can't see what is truly going on.

The only thing I can think of is to remove all the screws and pull up the piece of plywood, hammer out the nails, and replace it. If this is correct, then when I put it back down, do I just screw it back in place? Some sites say you should put construction adhesive down first.

Looking for your expert advice!

kripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:14 AM   #2

Squeaks are from plywood edges rubbing or nails that have come loose rubbing in the hole. If you have isolated the spot, it is either a joint of a nail problem, possibly both. If you are down to the subfloor, you should be able to see the nail heads, which should be in joists. Using screws, drill a hole in the plywood larger than the screw shank, then screw it down. This allows the screw to pull the plywood down tighter.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Kripes: If all else fails - remove section of sub-floor - then yes glue and screw. Note you will need to remove more than just 16". Recommend that the smallest section removed 32" x 32" and put some blocking at the seam perpendicular to the joists.
DaVinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #4

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes this weekend
Old 10-12-2009, 05:04 AM   #5

Hey all,

sorry for jumping on bandwagon but having similar issue. We just moved into a secondhand house (circa 50 yrs old). The floorboards upstairs are extremely bad, noise wise. I realise this is due to the floor nails loosening due to the wood being so dry.
I believe the joists are 6". I have hammered in extra floor nails but hasn't solved the problem.

To get a propoer fix, am i going to have to take up the floor boards and put in extra bracing between the joists?

We need to get carpets down so I need to solve this issue asap.
All thoughts appreciated.
podman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:09 AM   #6

Added thought that might save tearing up floors. Sweep talcum powder between the cracks. It helps lubricate things.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 8

Bill-you must have reached way back to remember that one. I haven't heard of it being used in years, but it does work.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:19 PM   #8

Well, I didn't get rid of the squeaks, and I didn't read the talc powder suggestion in time. The guys have installed the hardwood over the squeak. All is not lost, however. We're having a gas line run to the back deck for a BBQ, so the gas guy has to rip up the ceiling anyway, and I'll shim it up. It's a brutal effing squeak I can tell you that much.

Thanks anyway all
Old 10-13-2009, 09:20 AM   #9

We also had brutal floor squeaks in our 30 year old house. I own a collated screwdriver, so I used it to install around 1,000 screws anchoring the 3/4 inch T & G ply to the 2 x 8 floor joists installed by the tract home builder. I exhausted an entire bucket of screws with this job.

Total area I did was 100 sq yards or a bit more. Maybe it was over-kill, but the floor is dead silent now!

Last edited by MI-Roger; 10-13-2009 at 09:39 AM.
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #10

"We also had brutal floor squeaks in our 30 year old house. I own a collated screwdriver, so I used it to install around 1,000 screws anchoring the 3/4 inch T & G ply to the 2 x 8 floor joists installed by the tract home builder. I exhausted an entire bucket of screws with this job."

Yes another guy told me a similar story. This sounds like a solution to the issue alright.

Thanks.
podman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kripes View Post
Well, I didn't get rid of the squeaks, and I didn't read the talc powder suggestion in time. The guys have installed the hardwood over the squeak. All is not lost, however. We're having a gas line run to the back deck for a BBQ, so the gas guy has to rip up the ceiling anyway, and I'll shim it up. It's a brutal effing squeak I can tell you that much.

Thanks anyway all
At least you should be able to hear any intruders that may wander into your home

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
We also had brutal floor squeaks in our 30 year old house. I own a collated screwdriver, so I used it to install around 1,000 screws anchoring the 3/4 inch T & G ply to the 2 x 8 floor joists installed by the tract home builder. I exhausted an entire bucket of screws with this job.

Total area I did was 100 sq yards or a bit more. Maybe it was over-kill, but the floor is dead silent now!
I really feel sorry for the next owner of your home that maybe have to pull that floor up someday. It will cause quite a bit of cursing, no doubt!
toeey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:07 AM   #12

Don't assume that the nails you can see are into the joist. Most of them are installed with a nail gun and go into wood as easy as air. Hand drive a 10d nail next to one you can see. If there is something behind it you'll be able to feel it. The subfloor is only about an inch thick. if not then you'll feel that too and can probe around for the joist with a few more nails.

One house i worked on the upstairs floors had only about 25% of the nails into wood the rest missed consistently by 2 inches. Lots of squeaks before non after screwing in the right place

Five Arrows is offline   Reply With Quote