DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Floor Layout - Tiny, Oddly-Shaped Bathroom

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  bradnailer 
#1 ·
Hello there, all! You've been so helpful in the past, I hope someone can give me a suggestion for this one.

I have a 38 square foot bathroom, and I intend to lay 12" x 12" square cork tiles. My question is...where do I start? Do I start in the middle or in a corner? Attached is a very basic layout of the bathroom. If someone could just suggest where I start laying tiles, I know I can figure out the rest.

Many thanks for your time!

Best regards,

Hillary

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If it were me, I'd start with full tiles on the left wall in your diagram which would result in the cuts being on the right wall which is not very visible due to the toilet. Do a dry fit to make sure you have a decent sized tile on that wall though.

For the other direction, find the center between your shower and the wall on the bottom in your diagram and run them left to right down that center line.

#3 ·
Hi, and thanks so much for your response. So, okay, I added some stuff to the drawing. You think I should start it where I've put the square in the drawing? That would give me cut tiles along the front wall (the bottom 119" wall in the drawing). Is that okay? Thanks again. I've never done this before, and I sincerely appreciate the advice.

Best regards,

Hillary

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
FIRST, if you use that scenario check your measurement from your start-line (north) to the wall behind the pedestal sink and see what size cut you will have when you get there.:)

Should be around four inches. Is that suitable?

What will be the size of the cut at the door? About two inches?
Is that the look you want?:)

#5 ·
Okay, I think I can do it. It seems like the best idea is to lay the whole thing out first, figure out what my cuts will look like, and adjust as needed? Then, once I've got it laid out well, cut and glue?

I'm so nervous about doing this, I just really want to get it right. At the same time, I really want to do it myself because there's only one way to learn, right?

Thanks again,

Hillary

#6 ·
The way you've drawn it is how I would do it because the most visible portion of the room is between the shower and the wall on the bottom of your diagram. So, when you stand at the door and look to the right, the tiles are balanced in that area. But, you didn't give the measurement between those two points so you could end up with small tiles on each side. In that case, it wouldn't hurt to slide one way or the other.

However, as you suggested, just dry fit them and see how different configurations look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.