Floor Joist Help - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2012, 11:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Floor joist help

I am replacing the floor joist on my pier and beam home. The exterier joist are two 2x6's sistered together with a 2x4 sill plate. The original floor joist are 2x6's on 24 inch centers. My question is do i have to replace the floor joist with 2x6's or can i install 2x8's without having to replace the exterior 2x6 joist? I have poured 12 inch concrete columns every 6 feet to help support the floor joist.

Advertisement

jsvedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,180

Floor joist help

I think we may have a bit of a terminology problem here that is confusing the matter. You say you have poured 12 inch columns every six feet to support the floor joists. Do you have any beams supporting the joists other than the rim joist you described as two 2x6's? From your description, you must have poured a lot of footings to support all of the floor joists every 6 feet, and I just want to make sure that is what you did before trying to answer the question.

You also refer to it as the floor joist, which is singular. Are you replacing exactly one floor joist? Or are you replacing all of them? And exactly what is it you are attempting to accomplish, are your floors too springy, are the joists rotten, or is there something else going on? Post some pictures, and explain exactly what your current framing is, what you want to accomplish, and exactly what it is you propose to do.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Floor joist help

The columns are for the beams that will support the floor joists. I am wanting to replace all the floor joists. The floors are springy and some of the joist are rotten.
jsvedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,180

Floor joist help

You can attach 2x8 joists to a 2x6 rim joist using Simpson hangers. Whether that will solve your springy floor problem is a design issue. If you want that question addressed, you need to post a diagram of your framing. You may also want to run this design by the building inspector, if there is one, who may have some ideas. You also want to think about how your are going to attach the joists to the beams, there are Simpson connectors for just about any method of attachment.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote