Floor Joist Angle Iron Brackets - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2009, 01:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Floor joist angle iron brackets

Hi all, I am working on building a floor which will have the potential for the weight of a car to go on it. I will have a fire safety barier for the floor. For the floor I have massive steel I-Beams. 20"x6"x40ft long 1/2". I have installed a ledger board inside the beam for the floor joists to sit on. The floor joists are 2x10" and 8-10ft long. So the ledger board is great but I really want to have hangers also support the weight. My plan is to cut up angle iron 2x2x1/8" to make a hanger for each side of the joist and the bottom sits on the ledger board. Bolts will go through the board and also bolts will go through the I-beam. They will be about 1" from the edge of the board. What I am having a hard time finding info on is how many bolts I should use for the hangers and the thickness. I am thinking 3 spaced every 2.3 inches (5/16 or 3/8). I am concerned if its not done correctly it could cause the end of the board to split and all the weight could go on the ledger or worse the end breaks apart and falls down.

> I'm not sure if 1" from the end of the board is too close to the end.
> also if 3 bolts would destribute the weight well enough so it doesn't split.

I think if the two hangers are clamped very tightly in theory the holding force should be spread out on the entire area. You're help would be greatly appreciated! I'm trying to move this project along.

Advertisement

lugog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,620

Floor joist angle iron brackets

Sounds like a helluva lot of work and overkill for a minimal return. The 2X resting on the ledger is all that would be required with cross-bracing between the joists every six to eight feet.

This is a question that should be presented to a structural engineer.

Advertisement