DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Flooring (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/)
-   -   Floor help...Don't know what to do... (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/floor-help-dont-know-what-do-148859/)

bcdinh 07-01-2012 10:26 PM

Floor help...Don't know what to do...
 
5 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,

I just pulled up the old carpet and kitchen vinyl but I am not sure what is the most effective way of doing. Can some one please help??? Can I sand down the hardwood floor to bare wood and stain it again or put carpet again? If re-stain it, how can i fix all the nail holes around the edges?

The kitchen vinyl has some sort of glue under but I can't remove it. Would someone please let me know what is the best way of doing this? Can I just put hardwood floor over it or do I have to replace the sub floor?

Thank you everyone in advance for your input!

bcdinh 07-02-2012 09:53 PM

Bump :whistling2:

oh'mike 07-02-2012 10:29 PM

Just how bad is the wood?

If it's not black with water stains--I'd consider calling in a floor sander and getting a price to refinish the existing.

If the wood is beyond salvation---and you want hardwood flooring--the old stuff will need to be remove first--no new floor over the old--

bcdinh 07-03-2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 956611)
Just how bad is the wood?

If it's not black with water stains--I'd consider calling in a floor sander and getting a price to refinish the existing.

If the wood is beyond salvation---and you want hardwood flooring--the old stuff will need to be remove first--no new floor over the old--


The living room is okay but the master bedroom the previous owner put some kind of yellowish glue underneath then carpet on top of that as you can see on the first picture. I'm not sure if itís removable or not. Is there some type of chemical to remove it?

ohímike Ė Do you have any solutions for the kitchen floor? I can't scrap the vinyl up b/c the vinyl was on top of some kind tarp or dark glue (I think the same stuff use under the roof).


Thank you oh'mike and have a wonderful day!

oh'mike 07-03-2012 08:58 AM

Paint remover will soften up the glue on the hardwood--you need to sand that afterwords so simply removing the worst of it is good enough--

As to the kitchen--that black glue is called 'cut back' and is nasty to get rid of--is that on the subfloor or on a thin sheet of underlayment?

bcdinh 07-03-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 956846)
Paint remover will soften up the glue on the hardwood--you need to sand that afterwords so simply removing the worst of it is good enough--

As to the kitchen--that black glue is called 'cut back' and is nasty to get rid of--is that on the subfloor or on a thin sheet of underlayment?

Ok..will try some paint remover today. :thumbup:

I've taken part of the bathroom sub floor. It looks like ply wood (~1/2 inch or 3/4) on top of 2x8X? wood so I'm assuming the kitchen is the same too.

oh'mike 07-03-2012 09:29 AM

What are you going to use for the finished floor in the kitchen and bath?

bcdinh 07-03-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 956865)
What are you going to use for the finished floor in the kitchen and bath?

I'm planning to use tile in the bathroom..and I'm not sure what is best to use in the kitchen. I don't like vinyl much..it looks cheap and old fashion. Maybe I might go w/ laminate hardwood floor in the kitchen b/c if I go w/ 1/2 hardwood floor then the living room and the kitchen won't be level.

oh'mike 07-03-2012 11:26 AM

Tile backer set in thinset could go over the residue of the cutback--

Your kitchen may have a subfloor sandwich--1x6 skip sheeting--1x2 sleepers and then 3/4" plywood--

See what you can from below--or find an opening --hole or airvent--and see what that is made of--you may be able to take off the top and middle and then build up a proper subfloor for tile--


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 AM.


Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved