In Floor Heating System And Deck Mud - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2010, 01:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

in floor heating system and deck mud

Hi all!

In a previous post I was trying to get some confirmation on a bathroom floor I'm working on. I previously stated that I had a 1" deck mud, but I think it's really more like 3/4" at best. It seems that the common thickness is more like 1-1/4". I'm now thinking that instead of placing the electric heating mat above the deck mud, only to then have to re level over with SLC or thinset, I will just put the mat on the existing thin deck mud, and then paint portland slurry over top and finally another 1/2" of deck mud while the slurry is still wet. This way I will have the full thickness and hopefully strength. Do you think the packing of the deck mud over the mat will cause it any harm? Also, for bonding the 2 day old deck mud to the new, will the portland slurry work okay? There is a certain amount of plastic components (such as tape) on the mat. If this can work then I think I'll probably just nix the Ditra and go straight to tile.

Will this work? Problems?? I guess my biggest concern is that there the mat might get damaged with the compaction and that the new layer will not bond to the previous.

BTW- I'm hoping to get this started today. My vacation is running out

HELP!!

Thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by zantar; 07-13-2010 at 02:06 PM.
zantar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

in floor heating system and deck mud

Well I'll say one thing for sure: Hotglue does not like sticking to cement

This makes trying to stick the mat down a little irritating.

PL Premium is next..

Still wondering what people think about my idea. I need to proceed by tomorrow morning and I think it will work, but if anyone has any last minute advice I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm going to use modified thinset as a bond between the two deck mud layers.

Advertisement

zantar is offline   Reply With Quote