Floor Direction For New Hardwood Over 1925 Hardwood On Sleepers? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2015, 04:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Floor direction for new hardwood over 1925 hardwood on sleepers?

Im having a new maple hardwood floor installed over my existing maple hardwood floors in my unit of a 1925 condo building. The existing floor assembly is:

joist @ 16on center
plank subfloor
1 sleepers (aligned w/ joists)
Maple floor

If I bounce on one foot on my existing floor on the span between the sleepers, there is noticeable movement in the floor. The flooring installer is cautioning that the new floor must be installed perpendicular to the existing maple finished floor, which would be parallel to the sleepers and joists. This rule I understand is so the seasonal moisture / thermal movement of the two floors doesnt work together to exaggerate gaps in the new floor. But Im wondering if running the new floor w/ the existing floor is better for stiffness given the sleepers / joists direction.

I should add that before the new floor goes in I am planning on screwing off the existing floor frequently (6 OC) along the sleepers / joists to tackle some of the squeak that is in this old floor.

Any thoughts / comments appreciated.
Thanks!

Advertisement

jsimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,264

Makes no since.
Why was there sleepers installed?
Add another layer of flooring over that mess and it's going to effect all the door openings, base boards.
Adding another layer is not going to address the real issues.

Advertisement

Old 07-21-2015, 04:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Sleepers are pretty typical of floors of this type / vintage. One theory is the sleeper cavity was used to infill mortar rubble for fireproofing and to allow electrical routing -
There are no issues w/ floor trim, door undercuts, thresholds etc or I wouldn't have considered this approach.
Look forward to anyone else that can actually comment on the question -
jsimma is offline   Reply With Quote