Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #1

Share |

Floor Dimension Confusion

Did a search for this topic, but I can't really understand much of the lingo, so I apologize in advance if this has already been asked.

I recently hired a contractor to redo my floors, and I put in the contract that I wanted 3 inch pieces of hardwood for my floors. They finished, but when I measured it, each piece's width was only 2 1/4th of an inch wide. I told them to redo the project, but they refused, claiming that in the "building world," 3 inch floors only measure to 2.25 inches and showed me some 2x4s that didn't actual measure up to 2x4 inches. They told me that all construction materials follow this rule since wood dries after they are cut.

I googled my question, but only got one hit from a guy's site; he said that in the flooring world, the true width is the actual width. Can anyone confirm this? It's starting to look like these guys are trying to scam me, and I might have to take them to court, but I want to make sure that I'm right. Thanks.
shawncertain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #2

Might help to let us know what type floor you had put in.
Thickness.
Brand.
Species.

There's lots of companys out there carrying real 3" wide flooring here's just one.
http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/pr...in/_/N-67oZ6xu

Last edited by joecaption; 04-25-2012 at 08:13 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Tileguy

Shawn,

The excuse they gave you is BS. Hardwood comes in many sizes and it's not identified by the unfinished raw dimension. The most basic common width is 2.25 like you got, other widths are usually more expensive.

They either made a mistake or went for the cheaper flooring. At this stage I am not sure what you can make them do however. I mean they should do something, but I doubt a judge will order them to remove and replace it with wider strip flooring.

That, should be your position unless you saw the flooring and had an opportunity to inspect and approved it before it was installed. I think the common law will not be in your favor with the exception of a monetary reduction to you. Once it's installed, you can not later claim that it's not substantially what you ordered, after all, it's now part of your house. It's not the same as sending your dinner back or exchanging an item.

I have no personal experience in this type of problem, but based on things I've read and tv court shows, the best you should expect is some $$$ back.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote