Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #1

Share |

Floor cleaning and re-coat

I have wood floors in my house, but I do not believe they are hardwood. We had the floors sanded and urethaned 4.5 years ago before we moved in.
In the high traffic ares, I can definitely see some dirt build up, and I suspect that the floors need a new coat.

I was told that the floors were on their last sanding, so I really want to clean and recoat the floors before I have some tennants move in on Feb 1.

I am not afraid of giving them a good scrub, but I want to know what the best cleaner is, as time is most valuable .

Also, anybody know where I can get urethane in a 5 gallon bucket here in Metro detroit without paying retail Home Depot prices?

beertestr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:21 PM   #2

Floor cleaning and re-coat

Your best bet is what they call a screen and coat or re-coat. This means that the flooring gets a light sanding over the entire floor to remove the top layer(s) of finish, but not all the way down to bare wood. Then you need to apply 2 coats of finish.

Try using Bona Kemi Traffic or Basic Coatings Street Shoe. You can find either products at your local flooring distributors.

mpeterson72 is offline   Reply With Quote