Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #1

Share |

floor choice, need help

I am at the stage in my remodel where I need to choose flooring. Going to different stores is nearly over whelming. There are so many options, and most of the sales people are too much about sales and not enough about the details.

We are on a slab and it seems the best option is vapor barrier, underlayment foam for sound(or maybe a combo underlayment), then a floating engineered.

A few questions-Do click lock, fold lock, etc. fit tight enough to stop a spilled drink from getting in the seam and causing damage?

What brands are good options for quality and price? We will putting down about 800 sq. ft.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. BTW, I will probably hire this out to my remodel contractor, but will help with the project to save some labor cost.

7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:07 AM   #2

floor choice, need help

Quote:
A few questions-Do click lock, fold lock, etc. fit tight enough to stop a spilled drink from getting in the seam and causing damage?
A spilled drink cleaned up right away is no problem.
Long standing moisture WILL find a way into the seam after some time, if left alone.

Kahrs hardwood is my fav.

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:22 PM   #3

floor choice, need help

There are 2 dealers that sell Kahrs. Neither has any samples or information. I guess I could find it on the web, but would prefer to buy local for stuff like this.
Everyone here seems to push laminate(like pergo) for the 'value conscious' or glue down engineered for higher end-there are lots of slab floors here.
After removing the old vct I found a low spot that is about 3/4" low over 6'
I guess it will take quite a lot of prep to make it ready!

Any other recommendations for fold and lock, click lock, etc?
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:13 PM   #4

floor choice, need help

You are right. Going to the store is difficult as there are so many options to consider.

What I look for are use like high water content area or low water use areas. For kitchens and bathrooms having a sealed floor is a good thing. In bathrooms it is required in most areas. This pretty much rules out wood of any kind unless you have a drain system under it which is used in wood flooring in pool settings. The water goes down to a drain system and there is sufficient air flow under it to help it dry out.

I recently took out a small pool that had this system and it had been in there for 40 years. I had never seen anything like this and it was impressive.

Another consideration is livability (warmth and softness). For that there is carpet and wood. Carpet seems to be out these days and so there is wood. It is warmer than tile and is much more forgiving for things like dropped bottles. With tile a dropped bottle is toast.

Some like vinyl that is kind of a mix between tile and wood. It is much more fluid resistant than wood and can be used in bathrooms if done correctly. It's really impressive, some of the vinyl that is out there. It looks like tile and other types of flooring and is very wear resistant.

It really is a headache picking the one that works for you.

My wife picks our flooring and she takes a long time to do it. Once she finds something she likes we go for it. She just looks at different floors she sees when she is out and about and in magazines.

In fact she picked the tile we are using because of our trip to the beach this last weekend. Now I have to take the other tile she picked the weekend before back to the store....sigh.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #5

floor choice, need help

Quote:
Everyone here seems to push laminate(like pergo) for the 'value conscious'
Laminate flooring would work, however real wood can be refinished, it ads value to the home and lasts 10 times longer than lam.
How is that for value?
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:46 AM   #6

floor choice, need help

I would also check out the smaller flooring stores, as I've found they are very eager for business these days and will spend a lot of time with you and give you a good deal. We got a great deal for out attic flooring that way -- they beat the big box prices and even delivered all the samples to our door.

Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote