Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #1

Share |

Floor before trim & paint?

In a remodel, my contractor agreed to let me do some of the work to save money. I plan to put in 1400 sf of hardwood flooring.

To avoid shoe mold & make my job easier, I want to do the floors before doors, trim, and paint.

The contractor says floors go last, and shoe mold is normal, but says that as long as I protect the floor, it makes no difference. His foremen don't seem to like the idea. One mentioned that they will have to undercut the doors to fit the floors, which will add to the cost.

The house is being gutted due to a fire.

I am looking at floating vs glue-down over concrete. Is a week plenty of time to allow for DIY? Should I just put down the floors last, including undercutting the doors & adding shoe mold (not my preference)?

JumpinJW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JumpinJW For This Useful Post:
HolyGrail (02-12-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #2

Floor before trim & paint?

it can be done either way. if you want the floors before the trim then you will owe your contractor more money for the extra steps that are necessary to protect the floor.

Shoe molding is normal in most instances.

framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to framer52 For This Useful Post:
HolyGrail (02-12-2012), JumpinJW (02-12-2012)