Floor Around Toilet - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Floor around toilet

Hey guys,

I am pretty new at this stuff and have limited tools/budget but expect the best look I can get. None of these tiles are laid yet, I decided to cut what I could now and then lay them all after making any necessary changes as I go. The first two are of my toilet flange (obvious). Is this tight enough around the flange? And would you be concerned about the one little piece I put on the right side of the flange breaking if someone sat on the toilet? I did it this way to help not breakup my grout lines and only have a wet tile saw.

The second pick is of my bathroom so far. I will need to cut some tiles to fit everything in. I was going to cut them along the threshold at the door but am worried about the rough cut edge. Would you guys just measure and install cut tiles along bath tub first of is there another method.

Thanks
Attached Images

Advertisement

RegLearning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Floor around toilet

Id look into borrowing a grinder with a $12 diamond wheel. With this tool you'll be able to make circular cuts and eliminate that strip near toilet flange. It would worry me a little. I use my grinder for cutting everything!!

Advertisement

cariboulou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
Pro

Rewards Points: 502

Floor around toilet

Yeah grinder with diamond blade it's next to impossible to work with that tile with out one. Grind both back and front.
Make shore your flang isn't to low might need to raise it. I could be wrong by looking.
Start from tub work your way out you will end up cut pieces at the last wall make shore the cut sides facing wall.

Sent from my iPhone 4 ios5

Last edited by JetSwet; 02-20-2012 at 05:44 PM.
JetSwet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
Solutions (handyman)

Rewards Points: 260

Floor around toilet

The area around the flange is not a problem because the toilet will cover a fairly large area. Just make sure the tiles (even the small piece) are pressed firmly into the adhesive so that there is no movement. If all tiles are snug against the sub-floor you shouldn't have any issues. As to where the tiles meet the threshold, gringing provides a cleaner edge. It can be a little tricky and leave you with edges that don't have the same ground contour. You might consider a transition piece. This is a strip of metal, wood, vinyl, or other material that covers the tile and whatever flooring it meets with. Transition pieces vary in style and shapes but are designed for this purpose. They can accomadate flooring of the same or different levels, that is why they are called transition pieces.
Hope this helps.
Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 152

Floor around toilet

Before you decide to continue with the square pattern...you better check the footprint of the toilet. I had a friend remodel his bathroom, and he cut a square opening in the tile for his toilet flange...only to find out that the opening for the flange was bigger than his toilet bottom...and had to pull it up and cut a round hole.

Just sayin'
Ed911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #6

Floor around toilet

Interesting as I am doing almost same job now. I would go with round cut. Good luck!
almazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #7

Floor around toilet

Heya guys,

I have 4 1/2" Angle Grinder with 4 1/2" (1/4" thick) Diablo Masonry disk ($2.95, Lowes), but I dont think that's right combination.

What blade would you recommend for this job?
Will I be able to make a round cut?
How do you cut it?
Do you cut by angle or by the edge of the blade?

Thanks a bunch,
almazon
almazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Floor around toilet

you can pick up a diamond blade for your grinder at lowes or depot for about 12-15 dollars. I use mine all the time to notch block and tiles. its well worth it.

Advertisement

cariboulou is offline   Reply With Quote