Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2009, 07:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Flooded hardwood and carpet!

We got home from church Sunday to find an outdoor faucet burst and began leaking into our home. Our master bedroom is soaked. We ripped up the carpet and pad and used a shop vac to get as much water up as possible. The water spilled over into our living room, which is Shaw Epic 3/8" engineered. We sucked the water up there also. The bottom of the drywall throughout the room is wet also.

Here's my questions:

What should I do to get as much moisture out as possible? I've already got the heat jacked up and fans running. Would a de-humidifier help?

How many days should I wait before I have the carpet re-layed and stretched?

Chris
poolecw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Tileguy

Hi,

Sorry to hear about this.

You should do all of the things you mentioned, plus the dehumidifier. Did you call your homeowner insurance company?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #3

You say you ripped up the carpet underpad. Is it all torn up now?

I'd wait until the floor appears dry and then put a cheap hygrometer (measures relative humidity) from Lee Valley under some clear plastic and tape the perimeter of that plastic down to the floor. That hygrometer will tell you how rapidly water is evaporating from the concrete floor. Once that rate slows down, I'd put new underpad down with double sided carpet tape and stretch the carpet back in.

Running a dehumidifier in there would help a lot.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 02-02-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:26 PM   #4
onlinehandyman

I would definitely go with a dehumidifier ASAP. Also if they weather is dry I would crack the window a bit. The most important thing is to dry those walls out quick, it is amazing how fast the water can wick up them and mold can form. You also would be best off if you could get a moisture meter to keep tabs on it as the room dries out. Another thing that would help you would be a big fan - if you don't have one they can be had at your local rental center. Good luck!

onlinehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:46 AM   #5

Don't waste your time putting the carpet back in.

I sell flooring for a living and have dealt with many customers who have floods.

The usual story is that they had a flood, called their insurance company, were told to call the water extraction people (no offense to the industry, but it's an overpriced rip-off). The carpet was re-laid over new pad, but shortly thereafter, it got loose and wavy or ripped.

Most carpets have a woven polypropylene backing set in latex. Latex is water soluble. After the carpet gets soaked, the latex backing is no longer homogenous. In layman's terms, it gets crumbly.

This allows the carpet to stretch out rapidly from foot traffic. Then, someone trips over one of the many waves in the carpet and the carpet literally rips. If it got wet enough, it'll rip when someone tries to stretch it back in.

So, do yourself a fabor and replace the carpet as well as the pad.
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:07 AM   #6

Thanks for the responses. I got the insurance folks out there yesterday. I bought a dehumidifer yesterday and it has pulled a lot of water out of the air so far.

I haven't seen any damage to the hardwood yet. Hopefully, we won't!

As for the carpet, I'll have to see what my carpet installer says about the the backing. The backing is Shaw Softbac which is different than traditional backing. But it stll has latex.

Chris
Old 02-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
onlinehandyman

Poolecw, technically that is considered gray water and you could reinstall that carpet, but as soaked as it is you had to have damaged the latex backing. Do what you can to get the insurance company to replace it, they will probably argue, but do what you can. A lot can be done with drying those carpets but realistically they are never really the same.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinehandyman View Post
Poolecw, technically that is considered gray water and you could reinstall that carpet, but as soaked as it is you had to have damaged the latex backing. Do what you can to get the insurance company to replace it, they will probably argue, but do what you can. A lot can be done with drying those carpets but realistically they are never really the same.
yeah, I had my carpet guy come out today and he showed me places on the backing that were de-laminating. Parts of the latex was already dryed and crumbling.

Looks like new carpet..!

Chris
Old 02-04-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
onlinehandyman

your welcome Chris!

Old 02-05-2009, 07:18 AM   #10

So I've got the carpet issue situated. The insurance company cut me a check and Iím going to pick up the carpet tomorrow.

My new concern is the hardwood. Its 3/8 Shaw Epic Engineered hardwood...beautiful hand scraped veneers. Anyway, about 1/4 of the hardwood got flooded (on top of the floor...I don't know how much water seeped into the subfloor and spread out). The hardwood seems ok. I may see a little bit of cupping in the area that was flooded. but that could be paranoia on my part. But I was reading my hardwood warranty and it states that any flooding will void my warranty. It comes with lifetime structural warranty and a 25 year warranty on the finish.

My question is this..will the insurance company replace the flooring because of the voided warranty? Or does there have to be damage done before they will replace?

Thanks!

Chris