Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2009, 08:02 AM   #1
Home Remodeler Wannabe

Share |

Floating Floors! How do they work?

Good morning,

Recently starting renovating "My OLD House", tore up the 30 years rugs, and in the process of stripping wallpaper and patching cement/plaster walls, and now is the time to make decisions. I have seen these "FLOATING FLOORS" on umpteen HGTV/This Old House/etc but for the life of me can NOT figure out how they work. If they are not nailed/glued down, how do the stay in place? Why don't the gap? (I know the lock together). Anyone with any experience if you wouldn't mind giving me a run down, or anyone with experience installing/using benifits, disadvanges, whatever you got? I currently have (with rugs removed) 1950s style (hell they are 1950 tiles) tan with speckles in them, sure you know the ones. Very brittle, quite a few broke or chipped especially around the edges? Any info is greatly apprecitated!

Thank You

Last edited by Scotsman; 11-25-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Floating floors snap together. Once they are locked they will not gap. The whole floor floats. You need to maintain 1/4" spacing to allow movement around the perimeter. One con about this system is it feels cheap underfoot.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:41 AM   #3

I have installed floating floors - and like them for the appropraite location and usage. I would not put them whole-house or as a top quality solution. Bedrooms, guestroom, etc. is where I have used them.

The issue of how they feel underfoot can be mitigated to an extent by the use of padding designed to address this problem. A search here will provide info on suggested product and other information.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote