Floating Floor Water Damage - Advice Needed - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Floating floor water damage - advice needed

Hello,

About 2 weeks ago we had a small flood in the bottom floor of our split level, where water came in from the crawlspace (unplugged sump pump!), and covered about 1/3 of the basement room (1 inch deep in parts). We had the water mopped up in a couple hours.

The flooring in this room is a floating wood (engineered) floor, over a concrete slab. Under the floor is a foam silencing pad, with a moisture barrier. Since then, we have had fans and dehumidifiers going 24/7, but some of the floor has started to buckle.

We fear that the pad underneath the floor will remain wet, and that we have to have the entire floor taken up to replace the pad. We had Servpro come out, and they took moisture readings of the wood which were pretty high - far beyond where the actual water was in the room, but they said it can spread underneath the wood. They also scared the heck out of us, talking about the possibility of toxic mold, keeping the kids out of that room, etc.

I would really appreciate some advice as to a good course of action. My thought is to have all the wood floor taken up (it is tongue/groove, there was no glue - still, not an easy job), replace the pad and dry the concrete, and put the same wood back down. Does this seem like the most sensible option? Is the risk of mold growth underneath the wood a real one? I assume the wood can be effectively dried out? FYI, we live in North Carolina, fairly humid.

Thank you for your advice.

Advertisement

rumiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 732

The whole floors got to come out, the pad will need to be trashed, not very likly the flooring can be reused.
And there right the longer you wait the more likly mold will set in.
By now the concrete is going to have to be cleaned with bleach and water.
Fans will do 0 to dry out under the floor.

I would be using a dehumidifier in that area for a while.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks, I appreciate the reply.

Just curious, why would the wood itself not be able to be reused? With the exception of the couple buckled planks, the rest of the wood looks fine - even if there is mold underneath, can it not be dried out/cleaned as well? Apparently, it is common for this brand of floating floor (Kahrs) to be moved to a new home when the owner moves, it was created to be installed and uninstalled. At least, so says the advertising materials and flooring company. And the water was only on 1/3 of the flooring. It was expensive flooring, looks great, and ultimately I am hoping to preserve as much of it as possible.

Thank you!
rumiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Pro

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumiat
Thanks, I appreciate the reply.

Just curious, why would the wood itself not be able to be reused? With the exception of the couple buckled planks, the rest of the wood looks fine - even if there is mold underneath, can it not be dried out/cleaned as well? Apparently, it is common for this brand of floating floor (Kahrs) to be moved to a new home when the owner moves, it was created to be installed and uninstalled. At least, so says the advertising materials and flooring company. And the water was only on 1/3 of the flooring. It was expensive flooring, looks great, and ultimately I am hoping to preserve as much of it as possible.

Thank you!
You would of have to taken the hole entire floor out the second you realized there was water and dryed the planks each one but even doing that would be a shot in the dark because Evan though most laminates have protected glaze on them the T&G does not and that's what gets damaged 1st.
JetSwet is online now   Reply With Quote