Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Floating floor in a crawlspace

Hey all... wanted to pose a question before I move forward with my plans. I have a 6ft tall crawlspace with what looks to be a hard dirt floor with plastic layed over it. I own a tri-level home and the crawlspace is accessible through the bottom floor, which is ground level. The crawlspace, however, is not ground level and goes down 4 - 5 steps. I live in CO and it's very dry here. I wanted to put in a floating floor perhaps so I didn't have to put shoes on every time I go down into the space, as well as to keep all my storage stuff of the dirt floor. The crawlspace walls are all concreate as well.

How should I proceed with the floor? I was thinking either

A: using treated lumbar as floor joists, putting them directly on the dirt floor, and then putting plywood over it

or

B: hanging the joists by brackets attached to the concreate walls leaving an inch or 2 of empty space underneath the joists and the dirt floor.

CO DIYer is offline   Reply With Quote