Floating Ceramic In Seasonally Unheated Space - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Floating Ceramic in Seasonally Unheated Space

Hello All,
We have built a cottage in Ontario Canada and are starting to floor the space. The cottage is only heated when we are there in the winter and unheated the rest of the time. We are off grid, so have only solar electricity. The building is built on a post and pad foundation suitable to the terrain, the floor joists are 2x10 on 16" centers with a maximum 10' span, and it is sheeted in 5/8 plywood T&G floor sheathing.
We have laid a Terraco faux slate laminate floor in the master bedroom, and it seems to be good.
We are lookign for a durable floor for the kitchen, bathroom, and entry hall areas. Because the building is not heated, we were advised (including on this forum) not to use a tile floor even if we added to the subfloor thickness, and not to try a vinyl floor either.
Since then, I have found a ceramic tile on plastic base that clicks together and floats with a flexible grout.
There is Snap Stone and Avaire that come with a tile adhered to a plastic tray for interlocking.
We also found a product called Cerama-Lock that is just the tray to which you attach your 1/4" tile of choice. They are expensive, but everything we have been told says that a traditional tile install won't work even using a product like Ditra.

Does anyone have any experience with these products or any observations they could share? It would be appreciated.

Advertisement

ptarmigan61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
renovation contractor

Rewards Points: 10

Tile and stone are used outside. What were the reasons given for not using it inside?
just curious.

Advertisement

B.D.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

Tile could be done with out any issues if it is done correctly. Cheeping out wouldn't be the way to go.

The Snapstone is a good product and would be your best bet in my opinion. Stay with the Snapstone and forget the Avair. They are the same product made by the same company. Avair offers colors Snapstone does not and Avair is generally higher priced for no good reason.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
ptarmigan61 (10-02-2011)
Old 10-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #4

Thanks Bud. I really don't want to cheap out, so the advice is appreciated.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.D.R. View Post
Tile and stone are used outside. What were the reasons given for not using it inside?
just curious.
To be frank I didn't get a specific reason, but several seemed to think that:
1) The freeze thaw cycle would break the bond with the mortar bed.
2) Plywood expands and contracts at a different rate than thinset, mortar or tile, and thus would cause it to come up.

The trouble I had with that advice was that some of the same people said I could do tile or stone backsplashes. Not sure how the two factors listed above would change from floor to wall.