Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2007, 12:41 PM   #1

Share |

Flexible Vinyl Flooring

Does anyone have any feedback on the new "flexible vinyl"? I read the thread from a few days ago about the Trafficmaster Allure, but what I'm talking about comes in a 12' roll, not pieces. Its about 1/8" thick and has a foam backer; you can bend it in half w/o it breaking. Thinking about using it in the utility room but wanted to know if anyone had good/bad feedback.

moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:14 PM   #2

Flexible Vinyl Flooring

Its a loose lay vinyl made stable by extra fiberglass. Its a great product, if your area gets wet you can pick it up, take it outside and hose it off and put it back in.

mike costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #3

Flexible Vinyl Flooring

Trafficemaster Allure Vinyl Flooring--BAD Experience!!
Just wanted to share our horrible experience with this product to spare others the heartache and frustration we have had this past year. First the seams lifted, which eventually led to Halstead (the manufacturer) refunding our total amount spent on this product. Then upon removal of the product, we found solid MOLD growing under the flooring!! We had installed it in a "dry" walkout basement which is actually a foot above grade/ground level. We had carpet and padding down for 7 years with no moisture/mold issues. Now our cement subfloor has been compromised, and even after cleaning with bleach and water 3 times, we are still told by professionals to seal it with a mold inhibitor paint to prevent any mold spores that are still in the cement from growing in the future. In my opinion, based on our experience, this product has a flaw in it's application for use. It seems to set up conditions for moisture to be trapped and breed mold. You don't have this issue with carpet as it breathes, and you don't have this issue with traditional vinyl because it is glued completely to the subfloor or sealed around the perimeter. This product doesn't require any floor prep in it's install and it doesn't seal out air with any type of gluing down of the floor. In my opinion this allows air and moisture to be trapped under the vinyl, and presto! you have a science project growing in your home! I feel we were lucky to have the seam lifting issue which led to us removing the flooring from our home after only 8 months....what if we had left it for 5 years...can you imagine the mold levels that might have existed then?! Contact me if you want pictures!!!
mngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #4

Flexible Vinyl Flooring

I have no doubt about your issues.
But this seems like too easy of a problem to convince me that this product may be the culprit alone, and cause mold in every concrete application.
Laminate flooring is a floating product and when installed on concrete should have a 6 mil poly film with overlapping edges to also prevent moisture.
If you would have installed lam and seen the same problem, then should we have been warned about laminate flooring?
But for my theory to work, then there has to be some other aspect at place in your home that may be attributing to this issue.
the seams are lifting possibly because of another reason....how did you press them on? did you press them on the floor? Or possibly use a dough roller to apply pressure at the seams?
I could very well be wrong about the mold but...
I just wanted to open the subject up a bit more.

Last edited by Floorwizard; 03-12-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:47 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Flexible Vinyl Flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mngal View Post
Trafficemaster Allure Vinyl Flooring--BAD Experience!!
.....Now our cement subfloor has been compromised, and even after cleaning with bleach and water 3 times, we are still told by professionals to seal it with a mold inhibitor paint to prevent any mold spores that are still in the cement from growing in the future. In my opinion, based on our experience, this product has a flaw in it's application for use. It seems to set up conditions for moisture to be trapped and breed mold.....
1.) Bleach will kill mold spores on non-porous surfaces, but it DOES NOT kill them on porous surfaces like concrete (where spores are below the surface).

2.) At this time, I do not believe that there are wide spread reports of this product "creating" mold in dry environments.

3.) You are basing this completely on, what you state as;
Quote:
...In my opinion, based on our experience...
Quote:
...It seems to...
I can understand, that you are greatly upset, but be cautious about what you try to state as a "fact" on the internet. You are basing this on an assumption, and a single experience.

4.) The concrete floor in your basement, evidently was not as "dry" as you had thought, because moisture has to be present, in order to breed mold.
"There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture." - http://www.epa.gov/mold/moldbasics.html

5.) Did you by any chance, when installing this new product, store it outside, move it into the basement through the exterior, or in some way, expose the concrete to outdoor weather (foot traffic/direct breeze), prior to installing the new flooring material?
"Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing." -http://www.epa.gov/mold/moldbasics.html
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:17 AM   #6

Flexible Vinyl Flooring

Nothing wrong with this vinyl. You can get a residential version or a contract one.
The residential version can be put down either with; double sided tape round the perimeter, tackifier adhesive or laid loose. For contract use it gets a full adhesive.
Surprised it is new in the US. Been out herre for a few years.

Last edited by taranis; 03-13-2008 at 11:18 AM. Reason: typo
taranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:47 PM   #7

Flexible Vinyl Flooring

Somewhat new in Alaska.
We are the last to get things

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote