"flexible" Grout For A Glassed-in Florida Room? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2014, 10:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 83

"flexible" grout for a glassed-in Florida room?

Hi gang. I am tiling our "Champion" glassed in Florida room. It does not have insulated glass, nor is it heated/cooled in any way. It has large sliding windows. Replacing some "indoor/outdoor" carpet out there an making it into a room for the adults since the kids don't play out there anymore.

Anyway....I am installing porcelain tiles....16x16. This is not built on top of concrete. The sunroom was built over a deck. When we bought the house, we put down a vapor barrier then OSB and the aforementioned carpet/pad. I stripped down to the OSB yesterday.

My concern is the grout cracking from extremes in temperature. Although it never gets much colder than 30 degrees for a few days out there in winter....its 90+ with sun beating down for weeks at a time in summer here in NC. So the question....is there a grout that is a little more forgiving? Has a little more give to it? I'd hate to tile this 15x20 room and in a year, all the grout is cracked. Do they make grout that has a flexible additive or something? And will keeping the grout line smaller help?

I have tiled a few kitchens and baths....never a quasi-external job though. I got indoor/outdoor "large tile" mortar, tile and 1/4 hardibacker to install over the OSB...and can begin anytime. Any advice is appreciated. thanks

THB

Advertisement

tarheelblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,332

Those heat changes won't bother regular grout---a bigger concern is the strength (deflection) of the old deck---and the humidity that can get to the framing---

What size,grade and length and spacing are the joists?

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #3

thanks Mike. I really don't know. the deck is fairly low (<3 ft) off the ground so I cannot get under there too easily. can try to look.

so I suspect you mean the whole deck could bounce up and down? it feels very solid (no galloping). may be 8 years old.

so regardless of what could jeopardize the grout (heat, or the deck structure) is there a type/brand of grout that could deal with a little bounce? like a latex additive or anything?
Old 02-23-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
DIY staff

I use Latactete Spectralock epoxy on most of my work---

It's expensive and very unforgiving if you are not thorough in your cleaning---but grout failure is almost unheard of with that product.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:07 PM   #5

cool. I have had good luck with Lacticrete stuff too. unfortunately I used an epoxy on my first ever DIY job and yes, clean up needs to be thorough and fast.

any experience with urethane grout? sounds very flexible
Old 02-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
DIY staff

No experience---I have a sample of it but haven't tried it yet.

I have heard good things about it. I remodel bathrooms--the product need 4 days to set--so that part is what has kept the sample sitting on the shelf--
Old 02-23-2014, 08:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,002

Tarheel,
I use the urethane grout from Bostik whenever I do a bathroom and have had good results with it. I think by it's very makeup it is a bit more resistant to cracking. If you decide to use it, make SURE you read the directions thoroughly. Cleanup is done with a slightly damp sponge, not dripping wet. Also check on the recommendations for grout widths. I usually don't go wider than 3/16" joints with it. Like Oh Mike said, I would be more concerned with the deck framing. Also, if you are going over osb, I would recommend using Schluter's Ditra product on top of the osb. It's main purpose is it's a decoupling membrane. Again go to their site and read up on your specific use and they will tell you what products to use and how to install it. It will help eliminate grout cracking in marginal situations.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #8
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,256

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue
thanks Mike. I really don't know. the deck is fairly low (<3 ft) off the ground so I cannot get under there too easily. can try to look.
Not the right answer. You need to get down there and report back. While under there, see if you can figure out the species and grade of the joists too. I suspect they might be pressure treated since it was a deck at one time. So, type and size of the joists, their spacing, the unsupported span to the inch, and grade and species if at all possible. The thickness off the OSB, whether it's T&G and glued and its condition.

Also need to be sure the ground has the proper vapor barrier material on the ground, it's well ventilated and proper insulation/vapor barrier under the floor. Have you checked how flat the floor is? Flat, not necessarily level.

You'll also need to take special precautions when installing the backer and the tiles since the room gets direct sunlight much of the day. We can do that later.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:23 PM   #9
Doozer

Rewards Points: 75

Hints about crawling under things: Carharts make good body armor. Suit up and go. Carry a light and something to whack nasty poisonous Florida things. Other than snakes they are all very squishable.
Also, if you need a vapor barrier go buy it, cut it to size, roll it up and fold with forethought, put it in through the access door and unroll it as you crawl around. Instant clean floor to work on! I've done this in places you really don't want to go.
FatBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #10
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,256

Tarheel never reported back. He might still be under there, stuck probably.

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote