Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #1

Share |

Fixing squeaky/loud subflooring during carpet installation

I am getting new carpet put in on my 2nd and 3rd floors, and I want to fix some of my subflooring that squeaks and "moans" and makes other annoying noises.

I am a new home owner and have never made any fixes to subflooring so I don't know what to do.

My initial idea was to screw down areas that make noises once the carpet is pulled up by the carpet installers. I have read around and determined I should use 1.5" deck screws, #8.

Do any of the experts on this forum have any advice? Will those screws work? Do I need to pre-drill the holes through the subflooring into the joists? Or do I just screw the screws in without a predrilled hole?

Do I just screw in about an inch or so from the loose nails along the line of the joist? (I am assuming that the problem here is loose floorboards. Most of the sounds are not squeaking but "moaning" and "thumping" which sounds like the nails have become loose over time. The house is about 17 years old).

Thanks for the help.

thunderbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
DIY staff

Your plan sounds fine---Even the gold colored screws (never black drywall screws) work fine.

1 5/8" would be a better choice---

Old 05-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #3

What's there for a subfloor now. We need thickness, how many layers, and material it's made of.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

To add, use the deck screws that have to use the square driver bit, not the ones that are phillips. They will not strip out if you have a problem driving them down. Place them next to where the existing nails are currently, and use bar soap such as Ivory bath soap on the threads, before driving, after you pre-drill through the sub, with a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the screws.

Just make sure that you use at least a six foot level to make sure that you are at least keeping the floor even across the area that you are securing. I would also do a 3 foot by 3 foot area, vs. just going along a straight path, so that you can use the least amount of screws to get rid of the squeaks.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #5

Not sure exactly what my subflooring is, but I assume it is the standard 5/8 or 3/4" thick plywood.

If I go with the screws that need a square driver bit, can I use my standard drill with that square driver bit, or should I get a "screw gun" that I read about. Or should my standard drill work fine for this task?

I don't plan to do this in too many places, I only have a few spots that are really loud and need a fix.

Good idea about using a 6 foot level. Wouldn't want my floor to end up slanted. Wonder if I would notice anyway if it is slightly slanted. Probably not...
thunderbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
DIY staff

your standard drill will be fine---no need to buy a one use tool---
Old 05-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #7

Your plan will work out just fine. Just add the screws mentioned every 6 inches or so as needed.

RhodesHardwood is offline   Reply With Quote