DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Flooring (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/)
-   -   Fixing a rotten subfloor from water damage (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/fixing-rotten-subfloor-water-damage-156144/)

pirozhok 09-07-2012 08:47 PM

Fixing a rotten subfloor from water damage
 
Link to photo: http://imgur.com/4FOo9

I discovered a leak in the bathroom and fixed it - I was able to see it drip into the garage downstairs. So now I'm remodeling the bathroom and discovered rotten particle board and under it somewhat rotten subfloor.. what is the easiest way to fix it? Do i have to replace the subfloor?

Is all of this black mold? I'm wearing a protective breathing mask, hopefully it will keep me safe.

The Tub is a fill in, and under it is a cast iron tub. I was hoping to not have to replace that, or move it at all. From the garage, the subfloor looks ok, I don't see any water damage to the beams or underside of sublfoor

Awoodfloorguy 09-07-2012 10:47 PM

That's pretty bad. I would totally replace the subfloor. I would also treat the floor joists for mold. I'm no expert with this but would assume that a bleach/water solution would do the trick.

joecaption 09-07-2012 10:58 PM

All of it needs to come out, there is no just patching that one.
To cut it out along the walls it's best to use a Toe Kick Saw. Home Depot rents them.

What your looking at is the underlayment. Under that there should be the subfloor.

AngelArs 09-08-2012 05:14 PM

I had to do something similar around a year ago. It looked harder than it was, but don't play around with the mold. I would focus removing that first, then do the flooring. Wear plastic gloves and don't breath it in. Wash your cloths each time you leave the room so that you don't spread the mold spores around. I went to Lowes and bought some "special" mold spray. It DIDN'T work very well. Bleach did, just don't dilute it too much and give it a day to work. When you remove that tile you might find more surprises underneath. Just take your time and it will turn out great :wink:

firsttimeremode 09-12-2012 10:41 AM

thats not black mold. I have a lot of experience with black mold, its always furry, grows very quickly and stinks to high heaven. What you have there is simple mildew from the water. Bleach should cure it. Put straight bleach into a spray bottle, wear a mask and douse the area. Wait two days and then remove the moldy subfloor and underlayment, and replace it. Do not keep the moldy material inside the house, dispose of it immediately. If it was black mold, it would be climbing up the walls as well as the floor.

Big-Foot 09-12-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firsttimeremode (Post 1008366)
thats not black mold. I have a lot of experience with black mold, its always furry, grows very quickly and stinks to high heaven. What you have there is simple mildew from the water. Bleach should cure it. Put straight bleach into a spray bottle, wear a mask and douse the area. Wait two days and then remove the moldy subfloor and underlayment, and replace it. Do not keep the moldy material inside the house, dispose of it immediately. If it was black mold, it would be climbing up the walls as well as the floor.

I am sorry but you are wrong on a couple of counts here.. Having lived through a mold infestation and similar damage...

Mold itself has NO smell, however the rotting material may smell musty or pungent. It is also not furry in all cases. Many cases it is powdery. Depends on what it grew on or is multiplying on.
Straight bleach will kill mold, but it may also harm humans / pets. A 25% solution of bleach to 75% water will be just as effective and less harmful to living beings. You will still need eye and breathing protection. I would advise a cartridge style respirator over a simple mask. Your life and health are worth it. I almost lost my life to mold.

And yes - you should dispose of moldy material (after first treating it) immediately. Try to not disturb it too much as you are treating it because the spores go airborn immediately and get into your lungs etc..

Regards - Randy

firsttimeremode 09-13-2012 10:52 AM

Randy there is a difference between mold and BLACK mold. I dont mean black in color, i mean black as in toxic. regular mold, also known as aspergillus, can be different textures and smells. Toxic Black Mold is ALWAYS furry, ALWAYS smelly. My dad was installing base trim in my nephew's room, hit a pipe with the end of a nail, started a leak and two hours later there was black mold started, and by the next morning half of the wall was black and about a 4'x4' square on the floor. Black toxic mold grows very quickly and has a very distinct smell. If it doesnt smell strongly, then its not toxic black mold. Ive seen it firsthand in four houses, without a mask you cannot stand to be around it longer than a few minutes from the smell. Striaght bleach can be harmful, yes, but thats why you wear a mask. It will dry. Also, if it is powdery, its aspergillus. I would suggest some further research on your part, Randy.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved