Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2008, 08:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

fixing a botched overlay job

I recently used DC Surfaces overlay and solvent-based sealer on the radiant heat cement floors in my new 1000 sq ft house. It did not come out well at all, and now I need to fix it. After three weeks the sealer smell has still not entirely dissipated, and the color is drab olive instead of light grey. So I'm thinking of sanding it down and applying a water-based sealer. The overlay has been soft enough to chisel away a few bumps, and that's when you can see it is pretty porous material. Could I use a manual sander that does not raise much powder? Any other ideas? Thanks for any suggestions.

brannrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
DCsurfaces.com

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via AIM to DCsuperstore

fixing a botched overlay job

I am sorry you are not happy with your floors. I work for DCsurfaces and would like to offer some advice. You can scuff the sealer with a drywall sanding pole and sandpaper, reapply the overlay and seal it with a water base sealer.

If you want to remove the sealer with a machine, I know there are some rental services that rent grinders/sanders with vaccuum attachments that would help keep down the dust.

However, the best way to remove the odor is with manual ventilation, fans, etc. You can also try waxing the floors. The wax will make a barrier on top of the sealer and protect, but at the same time will help replace the odor.

Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

DCsuperstore is offline   Reply With Quote