First Timer Questions - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

First Timer Questions

This forum has been very helpful in answering my flooring questions, thus far. I have read the first 25 pages of this forum and most of the ceramic forum.

Do have one question that I can't seem to find an answer for. We are removing about 500 sq ft. of ceramic tile and laying down Bruce click-lock laminate over a 3-1 pad. First question is how smooth does my subfloor need to be if I use an upgraded pad? (Subfloor is concrete) I have not yet started ripping out tile so I'm not sure what I'm dealing with exactly, but from the video's and articles it appears that I need to sand the floor smooth, just wanted to verify that this step is needed. Also, for all you DIY's, what tools should I rent from Home Depot to make my tile removal the easiest? Any great video's or articles on proper ceramic tile removal? Youtube and such is somewhat hit or miss. Second question is about my 3-1 pad. The DIY video on Bruce's website said that I can tape the seams of the pad and will not need to lay an additional moisture barrier? Any opinions on this? I live in Florida, moisture is an issue.

I really appreciate all the assistance.

Chris

Advertisement

Florida_Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

First Timer Questions

Quote:
how smooth does my subfloor need to be
The flooring manufacturer will provide you with specifications to follow. Go to their website and look up your intended product.

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #3

First Timer Questions

Bruce PDF says: "clean, dry, flat subfloor" and "Variations in subfloor flatness should not exceed 3/16″ in 10′ (4.76 mm in 3.05 m) or 1/8″ in 6′ (3.17 mm in 1.83 m). Level floors with a suitable cement-based self-leveling underlayment following the manufacturer’s recommended guidelines.

So, like I said, I'm not sure if I need to sand down or if the pad will cover some imperfections?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 02-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
Tileguy

First Timer Questions

....and how will you know what you have to work with until you take out the existing floor and see what develops?

"Clean, dry, flat" What does that say to you?

Chances are removing ceramic tile from a concrete floor is going to result in some sanding and grinding and filling, chances are.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #5

First Timer Questions

Thanks Bud, just didn't know if it was an "extra" step, or a step those who were staining their concrete did. As most of the videos have been on prepping for staining.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

First Timer Questions

A scarifier will remove the old tile mortar residue and smooth out your concrete. They don't rent them at big boxes, you'll have to go to a real rental yard.
Dairylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
msv
Hardwood pro

First Timer Questions

i'm gonna try my "out of the box" thinking on this one... how about installing it on top of the tile??? that shouldn't raise your level by too much, and i'm guessing unless you have some type of slate, the existing floor should be pretty flat, right?
dunno about the specs for your type of laminate, but i think it's worth a call to manufacturer before you start making a mess....
Old 02-03-2010, 12:14 AM   #8

First Timer Questions

agree with MSV. Unless there is a major problem why you have to get rid of your tile, why bother? Tile is a B**** to rip up if laid properly. Also, you were wondering about what tape to use. I recommend and always use TUCK Tape, it is a little pricey but it is the perfect tape to use if your worried about moisture.

My two cents
campbell804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:50 AM   #9

First Timer Questions

Thanks. We had thought of not pulling the tile up, however there are some rooms that have carpet (that we will be removing) and some have existing laminate (that we will be removing). It just seems like there would be too many rooms to level with the main floor. Maybe it would be easier to level than rip out tile.....? Don't know. Local floor company quoted us $1475 to rip up tile, which seems pretty cheap but we thought we'd do it and save some $$$$.

I'll make sure and pick up some TUCK tape, thanks Cambell.

chris
Old 02-03-2010, 07:03 AM   #10

First Timer Questions

Also, if I use 1/4" plywood (or whatever it takes to level it out) wouldn't this be pretty costly? Rooms are not huge, but probably 800 sq feet total.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #11

First Timer Questions

you need to take out the tile. it needs to be flat and clean. you wont know what tools you need till you start tearing it out. depending on what type of thinset was used it may come out fairly easy with a jack hammer with 3 inch spade.good luck.
just tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #12
Tileguy

First Timer Questions

You wouldn't want to try to install 1/4" plywood over mortar remnants if that is what you are thinking - that won't be good.

Tear it out then we can talk. All of this speculation is nothing more than a typing exercise for everyone.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #13

First Timer Questions

Plywood would be over the subfloor after we pull out carpet (if we left tile).

Sorry Bud, not trying to tire out your fingers..... just trying to get the best advice. From what everyone has said, pulling out tile may not be the best idea. Just trying to save some work.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #14
Tileguy

First Timer Questions

Quote:
Plywood would be over the subfloor after we pull out carpet (if we left tile).
OK, I must be missing something here. Are you saying you want to install plywood OVER the tile?

How's that going to work?
Old 02-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #15
Newbie Bill

Rewards Points: 500

First Timer Questions

He's saying if he leaves the tile there and puts the laminate over top, then he would have to raise the floor where the old carpets are. That is where I believe he is putting the 1/4" ply.

So my question is about putting 1/4 plywood directly onto a concrete floor. Any issues guys, specific type of plywood?

And I think laying the plywood would be cheaper than paying to remove the tile. May be just as much work though as there will be door jambs to deal with, etc etc.

Advertisement

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote