Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2005, 01:48 PM   #1

Share |

First time tiler caution

Here’s a tip for the first time ceramic tiler. I learned this by sheer chance from a flooring guy at Home Depot. I laid ceramics in my kitchen on top of an additional 5/8” ply subfloor on top of the existing. I think most people know this already as an alternative to the wire and cement route which can be difficult for the beginner. By luck, the guy noticed that I had bought 12” x 12” tiles and ceramic tile adhesive to stick them down and this is where the tip came in. He explained to me that ceramic tile adhesive should never be used on tiles larger than 8” x 8” as it dries too quickly around the perimeter and eventually stops air from getting to the centre where the adhesive stays wet. He said that if the leg of a chair was on the middle of the tile and someone sat on it, it could crack the tile. The proper way of laying bigger tiles was to use a mortar mix instead of the adhesive. Made sense to me after he explained, maybe saved me a lot of heartache and a good beating from the wife. Just something that the first timer wouldn’t think of. It would be interesting to see if any of the flooring pros here agree.
'Andyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 05:09 PM   #2

First time tiler caution

NEVER use the premixed(mastic) adhesives. Always use a thin-set made with portland cement that you mix with water, it will work for any size tile from mosaics to 24 x 24. Again, NEVER USE MASTIC/PREMIXED ADHESIVES.
rspainhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:11 PM   #3

First time tiler caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspainhower
NEVER use the premixed(mastic) adhesives. Always use a thin-set made with portland cement that you mix with water, it will work for any size tile from mosaics to 24 x 24. Again, NEVER USE MASTIC/PREMIXED ADHESIVES.

well said
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:14 PM   #4
renovations

First time tiler caution

The mastic, even when cured, is water soluble and turns into paste if/when it gets wet. It has no place anywhere that might ever get wet. (Like a kitchen or bathroom). Rich.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:25 PM   #5
Carpenter

First time tiler caution

What floor doesn't get wet?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DecksEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:14 AM   #6
renovations

First time tiler caution

OK, OK Decks,I agree, it has no place anywhere! God knows it's awful stuff to use.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote