First Time Floor Layer - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2008, 12:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

first time floor layer

i am laying laminate flooring in my house and started in the kitchen because we were having appliances delivered... was it wrong of me to have the delivery men set the new fridge on the floor and i only have layed flooring in the cornner where the fridge is?? im so confused please anyones tips all around will help
thanx
heather

Advertisement

heatherdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

first time floor layer

I would say you are going to be alright.
This might be a wierd question but, what are the chances you could move the fridge to finish the install?
Just in case eh?

Advertisement

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:27 AM   #3
OLD Newbie

Rewards Points: 10

first time floor layer

if you already installed the laminate in the "corner" of your kitchen, and you are are doing other rooms, or even the rest of the kitchen, keep in mind that you will have to lay-out the rest of the floor(s) from that starting point. Hopefully your set pretty square and that is the best place to lay-out from; it most likely isn't, keeping "square" in mind. I would suggest to start off of your longest most critical run(wall?), especially if your going into another room without a transition splitting them. You might be best to finish the job where your fridge is at, then move the fridge onto the new flooring(protecting the edge with a scrap snapped in place) and finish(redo) where the fridge goes<----probobly using the same pieces you take out, just readjusting them for the main area. Is your fridge plumbed in?

Consider if your as much as an 1/8 out of square, what do you think your lines will look like in the opposite corner, not to mention the off-square cuts down the walls.

Florcraft must have asked about the chances of moving your fridge 'to complete the install' for these same reasons I've said. You need to work away from where you start, in theory: you dont want to start in a corner.

I hope this made sense, as it's pretty basic with all these snap-together products they use now.
Good luck to you Heather.....and yes Florcraft, I didn't have anything else to do this Saturday night seeings how I know longer drink and dont know what to do <-----20yrs, no joke
hack911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

first time floor layer

Damn good post......
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote