Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2011, 06:05 AM   #1

Share |

First post ever! Flooring question :)

I'm soooo happy I found these boards. My wife and I just had a house built, and we're already unhappy with our flooring lol. We chose to go cheap with the floors because we felt the builder was wanting to charge too much for wood/tile floors, so we went with a basic laminate knowing we would redo the floors ourselves once we got the keys to the house.

Here are my questions:

1) Is it ok to lay bamboo flooring over the laminate, using the laminate as our vapor barrier? Is it ok to tile over laminate?

2) When we put in these floors, I think the baseboards on the new floors will be elevated slightly above the baseboards that connects from our carpeted floors, is there a recommendation on how we fix that? We are assuming we pull up all the baseboards and slightly readjust.

3) In the kitchen, is it ok that we're tiling around the cabinets? I've seen DIY videos that say to remove the cabinets.

4) The bamboo flooring will be in our dining room that has a sliding door going to our outside patio. Do I need to be concerned with water being tracked in on this type of flooring?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as this will be I first time doing flooring, thank you so much in advance for your help.

Ken

kensmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:30 AM   #2
DIY staff

The existing laminate needs to be removed in order to install your new flooring---laminate moves to much to lay any thing on top of it---removal is fast and easy.

No problem tiling around existing cabinets---if there will be enough clearance for the dishwasher and fridge---It's faster and easier to tile without the cabinets in the way--but certainly not worth disturbing them if they are already installed---

When tiling time comes--let us know what the floor structure is like---tile needs a stiff base and there are plenty of folks here that will gladly check and see that the floor can support the tile---

Ask away----Mike---

Old 12-06-2011, 08:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
The existing laminate needs to be removed in order to install your new flooring---laminate moves to much to lay any thing on top of it---removal is fast and easy.
Even under the bamboo flooring? A couple "flooring store employees" told us we could just go over laminate. Is that just a lazy approach to doing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
When tiling time comes--let us know what the floor structure is like---tile needs a stiff base and there are plenty of folks here that will gladly check and see that the floor can support the tile---

Ask away----Mike---
Well I know in the areas where the laminate is, they placed a particle board looking material over the boards that were nailed to the floor joists. I'm not sure what the proper termanology is. I can take pictures when we pull that laminate up.

Last edited by kensmash; 12-06-2011 at 08:51 AM.
kensmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
DIY staff

If the folks at the counter really knew the flooring installation--would they still be working for retail wages and not out in the field earning the big bucks?

You wouldn't put a second shoe on over the one that you are wearing---take out the old stuff and don't listen to them---

To determine the stiffness of a floor--we need floor joist size--2x?---unsupported length--foundation to beam?--and the spacing--16" 24"--
And the thickness and type of subfloor---OSB--(flake board) or real plywood--
Old 12-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #5

Highly unlikly it's partical board, more likly OSB. Partical board looks like compressed oat meal. OSB is strands of wood compressed. If it is partical board the first thing I would do is remove ever inch of it. It's junk and not a suteable subfloor or underlament for anything but carpet.
Can a floor be laid over laminit, sure, but why would you? You would end up with the floor feeling like your walking on sponges from the movement, the baseboards would look shorter, you would have to reundercut all the door jams, ect..
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote