Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2006, 11:25 PM   #1

Share |

Fir and Oak floor finishing issue

Hey everyone,

Just bought a 40 year old house the previous owner walked away from.

Original fir strip throughout the house; unfinished. Lots of paint gobs and other stains. Some areas have tile over a black glue(?) which comes off with some difficulty. I can still get to clean wood readily though. Carpet over the rest. So it looks not too bad. Full thickness.
My test areas cleaned up pretty good and pretty easily. I'm not at all worried about imperfections when I'm done. Wifey will like the rustic appeal! She better anyway!

Kitchen has brand new unfinished white oak.

Here's my plan (PLEASE CRITIQUE):
  • Sand incrementally to 80 grit
  • trowel fill cracks and gaps
  • sand to 120 grit
  • Condition with Minwax wood conditioner
  • Stain - aware I'll probably have to use different stains to match
  • Sand lightly
  • Topcoat three times usung Varathane oil based product, sanding lightly etc.
Are the Varathane products ok? I want to take advantage of some Lowe's coupons and 10% price matching. But if I'm making a mistake I'll go elsewhere for my product. I hear of a product called Traffic; is it that much better?
What is a sealer?

I like the idea of oil based products as I tend to move slowly with something I'm new to.

Am I missing a step anywhere?

Thank you all for any advice you offer. It will be very much appreciated.

Regards from a former Canucknucklehead

Canexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:21 AM   #2
Master Craftsman

I would probably not trowel fill the gaps if they are more than 1/16". Personally to match the rough rustic look of the floor I would not trowel fill at all. There is too much chance of the filler coming out later.

The Minwax conditioner is another thing I probably wouldn't waste my money on. It probably won't help as much as you might think. You might want to test an area that will not be seen like in a small closet first to see if it will do what you want.

The Traffic finish is great and hard as a rock. I use it alot if they want to pay for it. Being a water base product it is a little tricky to work with but not too bad. You have to work quickly and watch for any drips or lap marks and catch them right away. I would probably stay away from the water base and stick with oil as it is more forgiving and easier to work with. Any drips or lap marks will flow out with the oil base so you don't have to worry about them as much. I have never used the Varathane products so I can't help you there. The same company that makes the traffic also makes oil based finishes so you might want to check into that. The company is called Bona-Kemi.

The sealer is just that. It is a cheaper product that seals the wood allowing for more build on the floor without wasting expensive finish. It also helps to bond the new finish to the floor.

I think that covers it.

Dave.

Old 09-30-2006, 03:25 PM   #3

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the response. The conditioner was recommended for uniformity in staining, particularly on the fir as it's soft. What are your thoughts?

I'll have to use a fair amount of filler as there are a lot of nail and staple holes, perhaps I should simply hit them and avoid the gaps?

Rob
Old 09-30-2006, 04:29 PM   #4
Master Craftsman

Canexpat, the conditioner will help but IMO not enough. I would leave the nail holes and staple holes as well. They will stain dark and give the floor alot of character. Like I mentioned above if you have a small closet I would experiment in there and see what you like or dislike. If you will take a look at my website all of the floors are white pine with no conditioner. There are also dents that I put in the floors to make them look older and they stain alot darker givingit character.

Dave.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:04 PM   #5

Dave,

Wow. Should have went to your site before I shot my mouth off. Those pics and results look great. It makes me much more relaxed! Thanks for your time and input.

Rob