Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Finding a Good Contractor

Hello all,

We're looking into having our disgusting carpet finally replaced with hardwood. What are the best resources for finding contractors with a good rep (Seattle)? I've found a few reviews online, but surprisingly sparse. I've thought about Angie's list, but I'd hate to pay a yearly fee for something I'm going to use once (especially if it proves of little use too). We did have a couple estimates: One was a small flooring firm, and the other was through Sears who quoted us 3x as much, cared only about his commision, and seemed to know very little about flooring...

Thanks so much

timberwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 510

Go to the places where the flooring contractors shop. Not the big box stores. Ask them to give you a few local flooring contractor numbers. I have been the recipient of a few framing jobs by homeowners, who are self contracting, asking at the lumber yard

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,470

Start with HFD in Seattle.
They won't sell to you but they will have a list of installers that buy from them. Start there. Get some names and approach it from that direction. HFD is Hardwood Flooring Distributors.

On 6th Street.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Call servicemagic.com ! ahahahaha !
AlbacoreShuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks guys.

In general, does it pay to steer clear of big box stores when it comes to flooring, or can they offer things that a small business installer cannot? Or is there very little relationship between firm size, quality, price, etc?
timberwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,916

You want to talk to the man who is actually going to be installing the wood----

Avoid the installers from the chain stores---they don't pay the subs very well so a hasty job is often the result.

Your area will have some fine independent hardwood guys---do some homework--Buds suggestion is a good one.

Friends and acquaintances are also a good source.

Angies list is a last resort----Look at Contractor talk Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum--

You will find problems with any of the contractor referral services including Angies list.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,470

Quote:
In general, does it pay to steer clear of big box stores when it comes to flooring, or can they offer things that a small business installer cannot?
In the case of The Home Depot they don't install anything. They hire a regional installation person who oversees several stores in the region, who in turn hires local subcontractors at each store who in turn does some work and subs some work.

With them, you are ultimately getting the workers that will work for the least amount of compensation as everyone above them has to get his slice of the pie whether they touch your job or not. You won't be finding very many creme of the crop installers that low on the totem pole.

I've already suggested a suitable way to do this. It doesn't have to be HFD, find another supplier and go from there.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote