Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Filling in gap between Stair and Floor

Greetings,

Thanks in advance for your help as this is my first post to the group.

I have a small gap (about the size of a baby finger) between the edge of my wood floor and the bottom of a stone staircase. I'd like to fill it in because my baby is crawling around and can get his fingers in there. I vacuumed the area out already, but there's still some old construction debris/dust that looks like it got trapped in there. I just want to make sure it's not accessible to our baby.

Aesthetics are less important than something functional. I'd even go with duct tape, but I'm afraid my baby would pull it off.

I'm attaching a picture so you can see the area. It's approximately 1/2 inch long by 1 inch wide in its most exposed area. I'm guessing that it's about an inch deep.

Would something like a wood putty or silicone work? I had read somewhere online that something like that could eventually pop out of place since there's movement in floors and this would defeat the purpose since a loose piece of putty could then be a choking hazard. The most important thing is not that it's level with the existing floor but that I have some sort of barrier blocking contact with any debris that's currently in there. So even a little silicone that doesn't fill in the entire hole would be fine if that could work. Alternatively I could just stuff something in there, as long as there was no way for my baby to pull it out. I hope this all makes sense!

I really appreciate any tips or advice you can offer.

Thanks so much!
Attached Thumbnails
Filling in gap between Stair and Floor-floor.jpg  

buddingdiyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Caulking would work. But, I would use flexible wood molding, like: http://flexiblemillwork.com/base-shoe.html

Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,152

Back up and take another picture.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:54 AM   #4

Thanks for your suggestion and help.

Joecaption: Here's a photo from a distance per your request. I wonder if the original flooring guys should have put a shoe moulding around but didn't.

If I use a shoe moulding, is it better to just use regular wood and cut short pieces at angles for the edges, or to get a flexible one?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Filling in gap between Stair and Floor-photo.jpg  

Last edited by buddingdiyer; 04-05-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:46 AM   #5

Personal preference. Fitting all of those miters together might be tricky.

Also, a correction to my previous post. It should've read "flexible wood-like molding". Though, it's also technically possibly to steam real-wood molding and get it to bend. but it too would likely be tricky. A plastic/composite product would be easiest.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #6

Hi again,

I had two follow-up questions:

1) If I go with a shoe moulding, where do I nail it to? I don't think I can nail horizontally into the stone staircase? Would I just nail into my floors vertically?

2) I did find a product online if I decide to fill it in called Woodepox which supposedly would not shrink. Curious if anyone has opinions on that.

Thanks again!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,622

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddingdiyer View Post
Hi again,

I had two follow-up questions:

1) If I go with a shoe moulding, where do I nail it to? I don't think I can nail horizontally into the stone staircase? Would I just nail into my floors vertically?

2) I did find a product online if I decide to fill it in called Woodepox which supposedly would not shrink. Curious if anyone has opinions on that.

Thanks again!
If you are going to use epoxy I would put tape on the flooring from the edge out a ways so the epoxy won't get on the floor it can mess the finish up and is hard to get off.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #8

I'd be concerned the epoxy would eliminate the flooring's expansion gap.

If that's a floating floor, I wouldn't attach the shoe molding to the flooring. MAAAYBE, if it's solid nail-down or glue-down. that's a big maybe, because I know it's wrong any way you look at it.

I'd glue shoe molding to the concrete with PL adhesive. I think there's a quick-cure PL. mask off the area that you wouldn't want any dripped adhesive. get your molding in place, set some cinderblocks next to it, to keep it in place, until it sets.