Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,000

filling the gap

one last question about laying my hardwood flooring (its going great by the way) I will be approaching my front entry door very soon and was wondering about the 3/4" expansion gap there. What do you guys usually do at this point, do I leave a little less gap at the threshold and maybe caulk it in later? I also have 2 5' sliders going out the back of the house and I really don't want to look at a 3/4" gap all the time

Old 03-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

filling the gap

Put some 1/4 rnd there .

Floor Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

filling the gap

At exterior doors you don't always have the clearance to put 1/4 round. In the area of the country I live in. (St. Louis, MO.) When I went through NWFA scool I was taught to cut flush to the exterior door. As long as you have an exspansion gap on the opposite side you won't have any trouble. With controled HVAC the gap at a door is not as important. As long as there is a gap opposite the door for the wood to expand the other way.

Last edited by woodman58; 03-17-2011 at 05:41 AM.
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodman58 For This Useful Post:
hardwareman (03-17-2011)
Old 03-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,000

filling the gap

yeah, there is no way I have enough clearance for 1/4 round, maybe I'll leave like an 1/8th" gap at the front entry and 1/4 at the rear sliders. I live in central Iowa, so we see all the temp and humidity changes, but once I kick my a/c on in the summer it stays on until heating season. So hopefully I have enough of a controlled enviroment so as not to create any problems. Thanks again woodman.