Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #1

Share |

few questions

I am new to residential work and some stuff i have no clue the proper way.

When you put your cement board down its 1/4in or 1/2in plus the whatever the size of the tile is. So how to do transition that down to a hallway or another room? if i go with a schluter strip what is the proper way to ramp the hallway of carpet or other material up to the bathroom floor height?

I also was wondering about doing a tub/shower surround. i dont want to tile all the way up is there a certain height i have to go with the tile above the tub/shower. I would like to paint above the tile height so how do i have to prepare the cement board to be painted?

thanks

diyitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Disabled wood vet

few questions

Get your floor done and worry about a transitional piece after you know what the height is. See what Lowes has, or you may have to either make or have a piece made from a piece of hardwood stock, or just plywood and have the carpet stretched and tacked back over it.
Stop the floor clean on the carpet side of the doorstop. Tack a straightedge there and butt the tile up to that.
There may not be a big enough difference to even notice, but nobody likes a toe stubber in bare feet.

On the other, I would
go up a foot or two. Try to have it high enough so most of the water isn't trying to shoot behind the tile.
Try to make the height match the rest of the bathroom walls if you have a border or chair rail in there.

Last edited by titanoman; 02-02-2012 at 06:32 PM.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

few questions

The carpet and tile should meet under the door. When the door is closed, you should only see one floor covering from either side.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #4

few questions

yeah i know where to stop the tile at the door jamb what im askin is how you guys meet that height of the tile with the carpet?
diyitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

few questions

Carpet shims.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
Tileguy

few questions

As has always been the case, the flooring should "change" under the door, with the exception of bathroom doorways. I don't think it looks professional for bathrooms. We use a marble threshold the width of the jamb, or for some time I've been eliminating the marble but tiling the jamb too, finishing with a metal edging "L" such as Schluter's Schiene.

How you handle the height difference depends on what you use as the threshold. Traditionally, we install a marble threshold which is the same width as door jamb, and of course the thickness of the walls. Todays walls are 4.5". The threshold is usually about 1/4" higher than the bath tiled floor. Often the threshold is 3/4" or higher than the hall, this is normal. Of course the type of covering on the other side dictates what to do.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote