Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

A few questions

My house is old, late 1800's, and in surprisingly solid shape. The only thing I dont like is how many small rooms there are. My kitchen (11x12) had 6 doors leading to more rooms with more doors. The plan is to open it up some while renovating at the same time.

Right now I am in the process of making a larger kitchen, doing the floor (vinyl), building a peninsula, counter tops, etc. I have already tore out a wall, now I have 1 large room with nice hardwood on one side and 3/4" T&G oak sub floor on the other. I want all hardwood but the old lady doesnt like it in the kitchen, I can understand.

The problem I have is the side with the hardwood over the sub floor is level with the sub floor in the kitchen. kinda hard to explain but after I put a solid underlayment and the flooring down ill have a 1" (or whatever) drop off all the way across the room. The peninsula will cover most the transition, some will be right in a high traffic area.

The sub floor in the kitchens 3"x.75", the sub floor in the dining room are 3/4" x12" planks. There arent any squeaks anywhere, and according to my 8 foot straightedge its perfectly flat and level. Maybe it was sanded that way years and years ago.

Ive heard horror story's about luaun, is there anything else thats thin and cheap the would be adequate for vinyl? Whole house is framed with oak timber felled on the property and shipped to an old mill via river, thats right across the road. 2x14 joists and 2x4 walls (true measurement)

Dopecustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,108

A few questions

1/4" underlayment grade plywood.

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

A few questions

after I add the 1/4" plywood and the vinyl Ill be maybe 3/8ths above the rest of the room. How would I get that down to around 1/4, if not flat. Without ripping the whole other side up too? I wouldnt mind a wood transition "strip". Not sure what to call them and if they even exist
Dopecustomz is offline   Reply With Quote