Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2007, 11:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

a few questions

I"m in the early stages of installing 500sq ft of 3/4" maple hardwood flooring in our living room. I've read a number of threads but still have a few questions.
1.) I need to level the osb subfloor at some places where the sheets are butted up against each other. Do I drive the nails down into the wood and then use a belt sander to level the joint or do I need to pull the nails out, sand and then renail?
2.) Is it reasonable to trim 1" of the drywall above the subfloor to have the 3/4" expansion space required, allowing me to reinstall the baseboard without the need to add a 1/4"quarter round strip as well?
3.) I have yet to buy a floor nailer. With the osb subfloor are staples better than nails? I'm leaning towards a ratcheting manual nailer as a compromise between the higher cost of an pneumatic nailer and the more difficult to use basic manual nailer, any thoughts?
Thank you for any ideas you send my way
Barry

motobear47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

a few questions

1.) I need to level the osb subfloor at some places where the sheets are butted up against each other. Do I drive the nails down into the wood and then use a belt sander to level the joint or do I need to pull the nails out, sand and then renail?
First you should screw down the intire floor ( don't use nails) and then drive down any protudeing nails ( the whole floor) and then sand any joints down that are uneven.
2.) Is it reasonable to trim 1" of the drywall above the subfloor to have the 3/4" expansion space required, allowing me to reinstall the baseboard without the need to add a 1/4"quarter round strip as well?
I have never left a wopping 3/4" expansion joint but 1/4 to 3/8 is standard here for solid 3/4" solid hardwood..

Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

a few questions

2.) allowing me to reinstall the baseboard without the need to add a 1/4"quarter round strip as well?

you will want that shoe mold. Base on top might leave gaps that will look bad.

3.) I have yet to buy a floor nailer. With the osb subfloor are staples better than nails? never

I'm leaning towards a ratcheting manual nailer as a compromise between the higher cost of an pneumatic nailer and the more difficult to use basic manual nailer, any thoughts? USE WHAT FEELS GOOD TO YOU
Thank you for any ideas you send my way
Barry
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote