A Few Laminant Flooring Questions... - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

A few Laminant flooring questions...

Howdy.

I am about to redo the laminate flooring in the hallways of the house I moved in to last year. I misremember the particular manufacturer of the flooring but it is a basic dark wood-looking laminate. 47"L and [[IIRC]] about 8"W floating lock or tongue in groove.

The whole house has this stuff run in one direction, the living/dining rooms and bedrooms. Thing is the hallway the grooves are run directly opposite of the rest of the house say averything in the house is horizontal then the hallway is vertical.

The entry opening between the hall and the livingroom and every door entryway has a 'hump', a plastic strip perhaps 1/2" wide and a few CM thick in the middle-not fun to step on in bare feet.

I have the basic knowledge to lay in the floating floor and the tools but what I'd like some thought on is:

The person who put the floor in says it could not be done the other way because one is not supposed to cut the laminate. [[Uh huh, right...He also put up the fence with 4x4's as uprights, 2x4" crosspieces [[horizontals]] too short so he sandwiched shorter 2x4 pieces nailed them flat to the 4x4 and the nailed the end of the 2x4's horizontals to the sandwiches with anywhere from a 2 to 5" gap between the 2x4 and the post. Them he says it was intentional and looks good to him.]]

So I'd like to have the grooves in the hallway patching the rest of the house. Hall is 42" wide, Lam boards are 47" so I'd remove 'X' amount to leave the 1/4" at the walls for expansion. I would also like to remove the spacers in the doors and end of the hall.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

Last edited by Satanta; 03-13-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Satanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,318

That hump "plastic strip" is a transition strip. It is required on most laminate or it will buckle.

Advertisement

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
That hump "plastic strip" is a transition strip. It is required on most laminate or it will buckle.
Hmmm...well, are they required in specific areas or could I put on, say...under the coffee table and one under a bed or something rather than every door in the house?
Old 03-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I think it would be impossible to install any floor without cutting some of the material!

Can you take a photo of the humps you're talking about? It sounds like the strips that you put where two different floors come together. You can have fewer of them with good planning, but to get rid of ones you have, you'll need to pull up flooring in one area entirely. So if you had 5 rooms tied to one hall, you'll probably need to pull up four rooms and the hall, tie the hall into the one room, and then expand it out into the other four. Obviously you need to maintain all the clearances as required by the manufacturer.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyper View Post
I think it would be impossible to install any floor without cutting some of the material!

Can you take a photo of the humps you're talking about? It sounds like the strips that you put where two different floors come together. You can have fewer of them with good planning, but to get rid of ones you have, you'll need to pull up flooring in one area entirely. So if you had 5 rooms tied to one hall, you'll probably need to pull up four rooms and the hall, tie the hall into the one room, and then expand it out into the other four. Obviously you need to maintain all the clearances as required by the manufacturer.
Sure, I can shoot the images in the morning. I don't have enough materiel to redo the rest of the rooms, going to redo the hall and small office so if I have to leave the strips I will, would be nice to remove the one from the livingroom into the hall for asthetics sakes if not the ones in the doors.

The materiel in all rooms is the same-too dark for my taste and too shiny, looks like plastic but the wife owns the house so it's her call there.