DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Female with Basement Flooring Question

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  smilekl 
#1 ·
OK, first of all, I'm a female... so use little words. :)

My husband and I have been totally remodeling a 1970s house. We've done minor plumbing, electric, tiling, etc. so far. So, we're not new to this, but this is our first home to work on. So, again... use little words. :)

Our basement has a finished section and an unfinished section. We are trying to put a new bathroom inbetween the two. So, we are cutting a doorway into the existing drywall that seperates the two areas and creating the new bathroom in the unfinished section.

Here's my first question: The unfinished area only has a concrete slab, while the finished area is carpeted. We are wanting to add tile (which we've done before in an upstairs bathroom). There are no vapor issues, but the concrete is not very level. I've read several different suggestions. Should I use leveling compound and then morter then tile? Or should I use morter and then concrete backerboard and then tile? Does there need to be a vapor barrier in there somewhere???

Thoughts??? Suggestions???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.