Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2010, 05:32 PM   #1

Share |

Is felt/tar paper really needed for HardWood?

I came across this page:

http://www.woodsthebest.com/Flooring...erUnderlay.htm

My concern is with needing a toxic paper in the house. Will it really do much for moisture? My basement is pretty dry, I have laminate down there and there is a moisture underlayment under that.

rayf01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #2

went through the same debate you did. in short i have no tar paper under the hardwood but i also had no signs of any moisture in the subfloor. you could use a waterproof foam pad in lieu of tar paper since it is a basement condition. personally i would only do that if there were hints moisture was getting in or you were going over concrete. can you save what's under the laminate?

racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #3

Sorry, there is some confusion here.

My basement has the laminate with the vapour barrier type foam padding underneith, overtop of a cement floor. I put this in roughly 6 months ago. The hardwood is going on the main floor. Thats the floor I am wondering if I really need tar paper on or not or if I can just lay my hardwood ontop of the wood sub flooring.
rayf01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:55 AM   #4
Doer of Many Things

The tar paper isn't there to prohibit moisture. It does block some moisture to an extent but anything you are poking holes in will only do so much. The real reason for tar paper is to prevent the hardwood floor from squeaking against the wooden subfloor over time. You can use several different things other than tar paper. Red rosin paper is the next most common used. You can also use many of the laminate type underlayments. Silencer pad for example is for laminate and wood installations.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote