Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Felt Paper...

Ok Guys
Maybe this is a really dumb question, really basic too. But when and what circumstances do you use felt paper? And what about shingles? and for that matter, what about roofing paper? I keep hearing about these things and since I'm still learning, I need to know. What about the manufacturers warranty?

ttr13r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
NACE Coating Inspector

Rewards Points: 500

Felt Paper...

felt paper under hardwood floors has been going on for years without any issues. felt was used and is still used on exterior work as well even with all of the new breathable house wraps available. as far as manufactures warranty, i feel that manufactures use this as a way to get people to buy there product vs the cheaper, proven methods used for decades. if felt worked under wood floors for the last 50 years, i dont see why it wouldnt work for the next 50 unless there is some new method of turning trees into wood floor planks that would cause felt not to work anymore. i also feel that a lot of these "new and improved" products are found to be not so improved after a few years of service such as the gray pvc type pipe that ruined so many houses a few years back.

mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mustangmike3789 For This Useful Post:
ttr13r (08-06-2011)
Old 08-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
KemoSabe

Rewards Points: 500

Felt Paper...

The beauty of felt is that it won't trap moisture. It's a must under roofing, IMO and I prefer it on sidewalls. Personally though, I prefer rosin paper under flooring, because felt does have a tendency to expand in high humidity conditions.
ttr13r (08-06-2011)
Old 08-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Felt Paper...

Thanks guys! Ok, another (dumb?) question....I know you don't want to trap moisture, otherwise, where can it go? But does the felt absorb moisture to a certain degree, or just ....well...is that right? AND...since wood naturally has some moisture in it, shouldn't that be somewhat of a concern when installing a floating bamboo floor,( over a wood sub) or not? I talked with this woman the other day, and she was getting SO mad at me, we were NOT communicating at all, she kept changing her mind on which type of bamboo she wanted, solid or floating, got mad at me, basically driving me nuts! She has a wood subfloor, and oh my God!! I couldn't understand WHAT in the hell she wanted me to say!! ( can we say "hell and God here?)
ttr13r is offline   Reply With Quote