Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2007, 09:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fastening Subfloor Plywood To Concrete Slab

My groundfloor is the concrete slab foundation and this is a new construction home...nearly, since the foundation is a mix of old and new(teardown and rebuild/expansion).

I realize I need to check the level of the flooring and to apply a vapor barrier sheet prior to installing the subfloor for hardwood flooring.

My question is how to powder fasten the 3/4" plywood subfloor? What nail length?

How many fasteners should I use per 4x8 sheet and what spacing?

And finally, any preferences to Hilti or Ramset products?

TIA

Hages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:20 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hi Tia,

That type of installation will not work most of the time and I know of no manufacturer that approve of it.

You should check with the manufacturer if it's even recommended to install that type of hardwood over a concrete subfloor. Maybe you should have chosen engineered hardwood which usually can be glued directly to the concrete as long as the slab is not below grade level. It sound like yours is 3/4" thick solid wood?

Jaz

JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Hi Tia,

That type of installation will not work most of the time and I know of no manufacturer that approve of it.

You should check with the manufacturer if it's even recommended to install that type of hardwood over a concrete subfloor. Maybe you should have chosen engineered hardwood which usually can be glued directly to the concrete as long as the slab is not below grade level. It sound like yours is 3/4" thick solid wood?

Jaz
I've spoken to a couple hardwood floor installers and that is what they would do. I am in California so climate conditions are quite moderate. Above grade and no frost conditions out here.

3/4" Plywood subflooring then 3/4" hardwood flooring

Thanks for your input and btw, "TIA" = Thanks In Advance
Old 03-01-2007, 10:54 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

People do all kinds of things. I will admit that under certain conditions it has a much better chance of working out where most people would be happy. There are many variables.

Why not check with the manufacturer to see what they have to say? What brand is it anyway?

Thanks for the TIA clarification. Actually I kinda knew that but I'm used to people giving their first name at these forums (not this one) and thought Tia was a nice name.

Jaz
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:52 PM   #5

Jaz,

I'll ask the supplier. Likely it is a generic red oak unfinished hardwood of no particular manufacturer.

But I am hoping someone can answer about the nailing of the plywood to the concrete......

Rod
Old 03-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Try 1/8in masonry bit and a hammer drill 2in fluted masonry nails and heavy duty construction adhesive, make sure your concrete is clean and dust free.
Zero Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Punch View Post
Try 1/8in masonry bit and a hammer drill 2in fluted masonry nails and heavy duty construction adhesive, make sure your concrete is clean and dust free.
Okay, thanks! That is a bit of work compared to those powder-actuated hammer nailers.

I asked at one of those big box orange place for advice and he suggested the 2x4 furring strips. But I said I am assuming the standard 1.5 rough flooring and he is proposing 3in to account for all that subfloor work? Again this is above grade and a concrete pad foundation in a moderate no frost area.

I am thinking 12 nails per 4x8 subfloor.

Looked at engineered wood flooring and it looks like artificial wood!! No thanks, plus it is also 3/4" thick and no way to get around the 3/4" plywood subfloor.

Do you folks think I can get away with this without the furring strips? Is it for air circulation for the wood? I really doubt I will have moisture issues plus I will have a vapor barrier between the concrete and wood.

TIA
Old 01-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #8

Hages - What did you end up doing?
Robert J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:05 AM   #9

Hages - Please email info on what you did. Thanks, esroinc@msn.com
Robert J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:07 AM   #10

I ended up having a flooring contractor install engineered brazilian cherry with all the necessary vapor barrier membrane and foam. I was really concerned about potential gaps between the new flooring and the concrete, but it turned out fine!