Fade Of New Grout Color. - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fade of new grout color.

Just finished grouting my bath floor. When finished it the grout looked like the color it is supposed to be. However after drying overnight the color has faded to almost white.
When I wet the grout like the grout manufacturer says I should do, i.e. mopping the floor every day for three days before sealing the grout, the grout color comes back to the color it is supposed to be.
But when it drys again it fades to almost white again.

Is this normal? Also when I apply the penetrating sealer to the grout after the required three days will the grout color stay the "wet" color?

That's obviously the only way it's going to be the color It's supposed to be.

Some sites say the sealer will darken the grout color but will not change the color. Darkening the color to the "wet" color is what I need.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Advertisement

Bud Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Fade of new grout color.

Bud,
Not sure without seeing what you are actually working with. But normally the grout will be darker when wet and lighten up when it dries. When the grout dries, it should be pretty close to the samples the grout manufacturers put out. Just curious, what kind of grout was it?
Mike Hawkins

Advertisement

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #3

Fade of new grout color.

It is Polyblend Grout, Color Linen #122.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,002

Fade of new grout color.

Bud,
I normally use either Hydroment or TEC, but I have used polyblend before, in fact it may have been that linen color, sounds familiar anyway. I have samples in my truck from hydroment and TEC, which seem to be pretty true to color. I haven't seen samples at HD for the poly grouts, just the color swatch on the container. Is that what you were going by? Printed samples are subject to not being a true reprasentation. Whatever color yours ended up when it dried is the color it is. I use a water-based penatrating sealer which does a good job, but does not change the color of the grout. Do you have some pics you can post?
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Fade of new grout color.

Quote:
Some sites say the sealer will darken the grout color but will not change the color.
Say what???

Typically, a sealer WILL NOT change the grout color.
Typically, an enhancer will.

Test a spot first no matter you do. Once you have sealed you will be living with that color unless you use a grout colorant to change the color or replace the grout entirely.

Using too much water in the beginning sometimes causes the grout to fade. Mopping it daily for a few days is not the best idea in my opinion when it is new.

Do the instructions say to mop it or mist it?
Old 06-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #6

Wink

Fade of new grout color.

Thanks to all who responded. I decided that the faded color was not acceptable at all. The problem was probable that the color was too light to begin with.
So I removed all the light grout and am going with a darker color shade so that when it dries if it goes lighter it will give me the definition I desire.

P.S. If I had known how easily the grout could be removed I would not have been so worried and concerned.

Once again thanks to all!
Old 06-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Fade of new grout color.

Quote:
P.S. If I had known how easily the grout could be removed I would not have been so worried and concerned.
Bud, right there may have been your problem. Grouts have a shelf life. Grouts that have gone beyond their shelf life may not shown any signs of being spoiled. If you have the grout container see if there is a code stamped on the container. If so, call a techie for that company and have him/her decipher the code. If the grout code goes back a year I would say someone owes you the price of the grout.

Grout is basically concrete and should not be that easy to remove unless some of the ingredients didn't step up to the plate at mixing time.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #8

Wink

Fade of new grout color.

Thanks for your reply Bud. I checked with the manufacturer of the grout. It was made this year so it's not old.
The tech support says what I had was "Efflorescence" which is a mineral deposit that dries on the surface of the grout. This is caused by using too much water while cleaning the grout after installation. It could have been removed by using an acid wash.

The reason the grout was easy to remove was because it had only been in about 48 hours and had not hardened comletely. That's why I didn't want to wait til it dried and then use the wash as suggested.

The tech support did emphasize not to use too much water when wiping the grout residue after the installation. That's probably what I did the first time.

Advertisement