Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #1

Share |

Experience with click-lock engineered floor?

Hi,

I'm new to this community, I found it through a google search. I'm working on a couple of home improvement projects, one of them is putting in new flooring in my dining room. I've ripped up the nasty old carpet and padding, hoping to find hardwood underneath. But that didn't happen, it's plywood. So I decided to go with a floating floor with click lock engineering. I've never done flooring before and it looks like the click lock is something that's within my skill level.

Does anyone have experience with click-long engineered floor? There are a number of brands I've found:
  • Schon at Lumber Liquidators
  • Mannington at my local flooring place
  • Mannington and Mirage at Avalon Carpet and tile (a regional retailer)
  • Home Legend and some other brand at Home Depot
Has anyone used any of the above or have recommendations for another brand? Are there major differences in the quality? Mannington and Mirage seem to be the most expensive, but does that mean better quality?

I could use any advice since I haven't done this before.

Thanks,
tdeepness

tdeepness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #2

Experience with click-lock engineered floor?

I've installed several "engineerred" laminate floors and the best I found is Home Legend (Brazillian Cherry). This was a special order at Home Depot for around $2.40 per LF. Installed roughly 500 sq feet in one home and it looks great. Make sure your sub floor is level or you may need to use a self leveling compound as I did.

Make sure your click and lock system has padding built in or you will have to lay down a pad.

Whatever you choose, make sure it passes the scratch test. Many engineered floor brands are fairly easy to scratch.

Deckmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
click lock, engineered flooring, floating floor